April 24, 2024, 08:03:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The final pressure  (Read 1749 times)

Offline kineticwave

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
The final pressure
« on: December 11, 2012, 02:17:59 PM »
Flask A has a volume of 2L and contains SO2 at a pressure of 7.5kpa. Flask B has a volume of 1L and contains excess F2 and at unknown pressure. Both flasks are at 300K. When the stopcock separating the two flasks is opened, the reaction SO2 + F2 -> SO2F2 occurs completely and the final pressure is found to be 7.5kpa at 300K. What was the initial pressure of F2 in flask B?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: The final pressure
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »
You have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy, described in the forum rules.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kineticwave

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »
Sorry, I've tried using the P1V1 = P2V2 method to find the pressure of SO2 then subtracting from the final pressure given to get the pressure of F2. But then somehow the answer comes to 22.5 kpa which apparently is because you have to find the P2 of the gases before they react but just after mixing. I'm not sure how to do that though.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 10:11:21 PM »
You can't just use P1V1+P2V2, because you also have a change in the number of moles of gas due to your reaction.

Start at the end - what is the total volume of your system? What is the temperature? What is the pressure? So how many moles of gas are there after the reaction is complete? Then work your way backwards.

Offline kineticwave

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
Ah, thank you, but my prof didn't work on it backwards. And I was wondering how you would go about this question going forward along with the reaction.

Sponsored Links