April 28, 2024, 02:05:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bonding questions  (Read 7002 times)

Offline Ter

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Bonding questions
« on: December 13, 2012, 05:04:35 AM »
1.) In ethanol, there are covalent bonds, hydrogen bonds and Van Der Waals. Which bonds or forces are broken when ethanol is vaporized?

I was thinking hydrogen bonds only since Van Der Waals will exist between vaporized ethanol too..is it right?

2.) In CH3COOh, all carbon-oxygen bond lengths are equal. True or false.

I drew out the structure and there was one double bond present. Since acetic acid is a resonance hybrid with free pi electron movement, then I thought there will be equal bond lengths with values intermediate between single and double bonds. Is this the answer?

Please help me, I have no answers and would really like to know if I'm right or where I have gone wrong. Thank you so much!

Online Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +167/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Bonding questions
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:08:02 AM »
The O-H bond is the strongest. So you have hydrogen bridge like in water. Van de waals you also have in gas condition.

The acetic acid answer seems correct to me.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 06:06:48 AM »
  • What about the covalent bonds (you haven't listed them one way or the other)
  • Are the carbon-oxygen bonds equivalent in the acid (not the base), c.f. e.g. methyl ethanoate

Offline Ter

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:31:51 AM »
Thank you!

For one, I know van der waals exist between molecules in liquid and also gases. I was wondering if in becoming a gas, the van der waals forces, as well as hydrogen bonds will break..I am quite sure the covalent bonds won't break when ethanol vaporizes!

For two, I found the answer key. It says that carbon-oxygen bonds in acetic acid are not the same in length!

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:13:30 PM »
Acetic acid is the protonated form of the compound - in this form, the hydrogen is bonded to one oxygen atom, and there is a double bond on the other. Although the hydrogen atom can move from one oxygen to the other, it is not truly a resonance form - the hydrogen atom must actually move in space, it isn't just movement of bonds. This means the two carbon-oxygen bonds are different and will have different bond lengths.

The acetate anion is a different story - here it is only the bonds and electrons that move, and there really are two resonance forms. For the acetate anion, the two carbon-oxygen bonds are the same length.

Sponsored Links