April 27, 2024, 02:20:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Making ozone at home  (Read 15214 times)

lordofdarkness

Making ozone at home
« on: January 14, 2006, 04:45:17 AM »
I heard this is possible using the right equipment
do anybody know how its done?

crow_of_darkness

Re:Making ozone at home
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 09:46:15 AM »
    I know that ozone can be prodused with the appropriate equipment, but i doubt if there is anyone that has it in his home.
    It can be prodused Oxygen that has 10% of ozone. In chemical lab,  they provocate the formation of dark electric emptying, in stream of oxygen. This happens inside a machine called ozoneur(i am not sure that i say it correctly). Then ozone is separated. Personaly i dont know anyone who has this mashine in his home. :)  
    Now, if there is a simple method that someone can applies in home with basic equipment, i dont know.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 09:52:39 AM »
electric emptying

He probably means discharge :)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline plu

• Mole Snacks: +15/-7
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 10:27:49 AM »
A simple google search would have turned up this:
http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/ozone.htm

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 01:14:09 PM »
ozone is very dangerous, please be careful.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

lordofdarkness

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 04:41:49 PM »
I heard u can do it with a 9volt battery, but u need a graphite and a platnium anode with 3M H2SO4

3H2O ? O3 + 6H+ + 6e- ?Eo = - 1.53 V
6H+ + 6e- ? 3H2 ?Eo = 0 V
2H2O ? O2 + 4H+ + 4e- ?Eo = -1. 23 V

Maybe u can subsitiute materials but i dunno

Offline Cupro Chlorous

• Mole Snacks: +0/-4
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 04:51:33 PM »
Ozone is rather dangerous indeed.  Its important to employ proper lab safety when dealing with ozone.  If you need a graphite anode/cathode, just crack open a ZINC CARBON dry cell.  DO NOT ATTEMPT opening an alkaline battery, as you can get severe burns from the Potassium Hydroxide.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 06:22:07 PM »
I have opened up most kinds of batteries, the only ones you need to be REALLY careful opening are the ones containing thionyl chloride, or those containing liquified SO2, I used to have a large sealed bottle full of liquid sulfur dioxide that I had drained from batteries I was attempting to reclaim lithium metal from, although one time, drilling into one, it started to spray SO2 everywhere, I wasn't injured by it, but I was sure glad I had my gas mask and eye protection on.

Liquid SO2 is bloody corrosive to boot, the steel blades on my leather gauntlets I was wearing at the time as improvised protection rusted in minutes on contact with the spray >:(
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 08:45:24 PM »
Some electric motors tend to give off ozone. Some more than others. How do I know this? I smelt it. As everyone probably ozones has a very distinct smell. I smelt it comeing from my old computer once too. Then it died shortly after, which leads me to believe there was a short circuit somewhere. Then I pulled the old computer apart.

As a side note if you haven't taken apart a computer piece by piece, I reccomend you try it. Just watch out with the power supply. I got a mighty nasty discharge from it when I grounded it useing rubber gloves and some rubber covered copper wire. The only thing I was unable to bust open via either brute force or tools was the Hard Disk Drive.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 08:56:06 PM »
You can always smell ozone right after a thunderstorm has passed by the area.  It's an oddly 'clean' and 'bleaching' odor.  Not like chlorine and not like nitrogen oxides, but "bleachy" nonetheless.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

kkrizka

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 09:08:28 PM »
I was reading about KMnO4 solutions on wikipedia and found an interesting paragraph:
A curious reactions is observed when you add some sulfuric acid to potassium permanganate. It seems as if the acid moistens the potassium permanganate and nothing strange happens. But, if you bring a piece of paper soaked in alcohol close , the alcohol will burn spontaneously. This is due to the reaction of potassium permanganate and sulfuric acid. In this reaction produces potassium sulfate, manganese sulfate, water and ozone. The ozone has a high oxidising power, and rapidly oxidises the alcohol and causes it to combust.
6 KMnO4 + 9 H2SO4 <=> 6 MnSO4 + 3 K2SO4 + 9 H2O + 5 O3

For those interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_permanganate

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 09:48:10 PM »
That seems a bit bogus to me.  Last I recall, potassium permanganate reacts with sulfuric acid to produce permanganic acid which is HIGHLY reactive and will rapidly decompose in the presence of organic substances producing a great deal of heat.  I would really not take that wikipedia entry too seriously.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 12:38:54 AM »
Concentrated H2SO4 in contact with a permanganate salt will yield the anhydride of permanganic acid, manganese heptoxide, Mn2O7, pretty unstable and explosive stuff, a bloody strong oxidising agent and can detonate on contact with organic matter.

The decomposition of Mn2O7 does release ozone though.

Somebody ought to modify that wikipedia entry, I would do it myself, but tweak comedowns don't exactly lend themselves to creativity ;)
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 02:08:32 PM »

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 02:33:12 PM »
The only thing I was unable to bust open via either brute force or tools was the Hard Disk Drive.

Often, I think, the key is having the right star-shaped or whatever wrenches for the screws.  I did manage to open an older disk, with easier-to-match fasteners.

I highly recommend opening old hard disk drives.  First of all, this will help obliterate any sensitive data still on it.  Second of all, they are real purty inside.  The very shiny disk platters are neat to look at.

Sponsored Links