March 29, 2024, 06:02:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Preparation of 1:1 HNO3?  (Read 9385 times)

Offline windzjustry

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Preparation of 1:1 HNO3?
« on: December 13, 2012, 12:23:07 PM »
what does 1:1 HNO3 mean? and 1+1? mole? volume? gram ratio? how to prepare tat?
and use what concentration of HNO3 to prepare?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Preparation of 1:1 HNO3?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 12:27:41 PM »
Yes.

Sorry.  That is the best I can do with the information given.  Depending on the application, that could mean any of the options you've given, or it could mean you can pick any one and they will all work the same, or you could pick the wrong one and have the experiment you need to perform fail, maybe catastrophically.  You'll have to tell us what your application is, where your reference to the experiment is from, and hope for an expert who's done it before will be able to help.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Preparation of 1:1 HNO3?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:10:31 PM »
I agree with Arkcon that more information is needed to know for certain, inasmuch as 1:1 could mean many things.  Can you provide some sort of context?  If I were to hazard a guess, I would assume 1 part commercial HNO3 to 1 part water by volume, as suggested here:  http://en.allexperts.com/q/Chemicals-2460/1-1-HNO3.htm

"The silver leaching process we present is sometimes called the  "50/50" method, since it requires the dilution of 70% nitric acid with an equal amount of distilled water."  http://www.goldnscrap.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67:refining-karat-gold-and-silver-jewelry-using-inquarting-method-part-1&catid=25:gold&Itemid=20

Sponsored Links