April 24, 2024, 01:59:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about motivation letters and CVs  (Read 6020 times)

Offline sdfsfgfdgdfdf

• Mole Snacks: +4/-3
Question about motivation letters and CVs
« on: October 09, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »
I have gotten the impression that there are some members here that are in such a position to receive job applications and decide on applicant selection, so this question is mainly to you, but also to anyone else with some experience.

I have decided to start applying for internship positions, and I noticed that unlike with university applications, the companies don't give very clear instructions on what they actually want in the application. For example they say they want a motivation letter, but they don't say how long it should be or exactly what it should contain. They request a CV, but again they don't specify what the CV should emphasize.

So, I am asking, how long are this type of motivation letters usually and what do you look for in such a letter? What should the language be like? Simple sentences or more complex ones? Lots of ideas or something very simple and clear? Should I say something about myself or should I focus more on the company or on their product? How long is too long? What kind of motivation letter sticks out of the crowd, or simply is likable enough to consider it? What do you look for in a CV? Should I be honest?

And finally, for the pharmaceutical, petroleum and chemical industries, should I expect interviewers to ask me random chemistry questions?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Question about motivation letters and CVs
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:17:35 PM »
Your curriculum vitae is essentially an extra long resume, with more emphasis paid to your publications and research work.  It follows much the same rules as with resume writing, and you should probably check the local library for a handbook, and pick one that looks good, matching it to your qualifications.

The motivation letter, likewise, is a longer, more structured, cover letter.  You'll go though your qualifications one at a time, with a short paragraph about each, the first and last paragraphs functioning to pull the others together to show how all your accomplishments lead to your overall goal. 

Some other people may have hints for you, but the basic answer is that you will have to find examples in a book, and copy the style of your choice, substituting your information.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline sdfsfgfdgdfdf

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. That was helpful.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 08:51:26 AM »
Good answers Arkcon!

For your last question, about whether you can expect random chemistry questions, that really depends on who you are interviewing with. Human resources and managers, almost never. If you are interviewing people that work in the lab, however, you should expect something. It won't usually be as obvious as a test question - nobody will say "suppose you have 3 mL of 25% H3PO4 and you need to make 20 mL of a pH 4 buffer - what would you do?" If you have publications or research listed in your CV, expect some questions based on those that may be designed to test your chemical knowledge - for instance, "Could you have made that compound using a Suzuki coupling reaction?" or "What would have happened if you'd used a base in that reaction instead of an acid?" or "What did you see in the NMR for that compound?"

Best of luck

Offline sdfsfgfdgdfdf

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:38:35 PM »
thanks, you've both been very helpful :) I must say though, I find it difficult to understand why human resources people would be interviewing chemists and chemical engineers, but I guess its none of my business anyways, if a company feels that its appropriate...

Offline eazye1334

• Mole Snacks: +18/-1
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 03:16:56 PM »
Typically the HR people interview technical people to gain insight into the personality of the candidate. Every interview for a position that I've ever had included a talk with HR, but it never gets into technical details for obvious reasons. Most companies know that simply taking the best technical candidate does not always equal the best hire as that person needs to fit the culture and work well with the other employees.

Offline sdfsfgfdgdfdf

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 04:00:55 PM »
I guess it makes sense :)

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »
As a Lab manager in a small company the prospective interviewee for the lab position would generally be seen by our HR person, myself and the analytical supervisor at the same time. It will be the analytical supervisor and I who sift through the resumes (CVs) and select the candidates. 

To be honest we're in contract R & D/analytical and a lot of the motivation letters I see are just so much waffle and padding. I just want to see a clear concise 2 page resume. If you have work experience there should be no unexplained gaps.

Also, don't claim what you don't have. Experience (and a lot of wasted time) has told me that:

"knowledge of..." equates to "read about it once"
"familiar with" can mean "I watched someone else do it"

And never ever claim expertise in anything if this is you first job (which I have seen). I've been woking in Analytical chemistry for 25+ years but will never claim to be expert in anything.

I have in the past, set small tests within interviews (I actually used questions I was set in high school at UK O level) but stopped because the answers were so disappointing. the amount of grad and postgrad applicants who couldnt answer was staggering (only 1 in 7 years got 100% right).

Be realistic in your expectations. As an intern you'll get the crappy work to do (probably) but if you're motivated and work efficiently you may get to work on something better. 
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline sdfsfgfdgdfdf

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 06:01:56 AM »
hahaha thank you :) That's what I was looking for, a realistic answer, by someone who actually gets to inspect a number of CVs and interview candidates. I'm not surprised by the low quality of graduates though, having seen all the kinds of people that go in to graduate school, where I live and everywhere else in the world.

As for giving tests on an interview, I'm not sure if that's the best way to evaluate applicants. Most people get very nervous on interviews, so the scores might not be a good reflection of their actual knowledge.

And another question. What do you think to yourself when you see a candidate that is obviously very nervous?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 06:23:24 AM by elena »

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 04:29:01 PM »
And another question. What do you think to yourself when you see a candidate that is obviously very nervous?

That's always a difficult one.

You can try and put them at ease but chances are as soon as you start asking questions a nervous candidate will revert to type.  It is something a candidate themself has to work on to improve. However, that does not mean I haven't employed anyone who was like that in an interview. Sometimes, despite the nervousness you see the promise in a candidate.

I remember my first interviews and would say I didn't get close to feeling comfortable until I'd been through 5 or 6.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Fishy

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 09:57:38 AM »
Hey, JGK, I was wondering if you could give me some advice.  I lost my job more than a year ago and have applied to over 100 chemistry jobs.  I have a Masters in analytical chemistry and 15 years experience (14 years at the same job as head of HPLC).  I have gotten 0 interviews.  Perhaps if you could look at my resume, you could tell me the most glaring reason that you would dismiss the resume immediately.  There has to be a major reason that nobody wants me.  Thanks.

Offline sdfsfgfdgdfdf

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 12:15:16 AM »
Well, I went through my first interview and I was nervous as hell... I hope they realized that, because otherwise they'd have to think I was retarded :) I guess your right, ultimately I have to deal with it myself.

Fishy, I wouldn't be surprised if there is nothing wrong with your CV. Maybe companies avoid applicants that spent their entire career in one company, because they are afraid that you will ask for a higher starting salary, have your own way of doing things, they are suspicious of why you lost your previous job etc... Best of luck in finding a new job.

Sponsored Links