April 28, 2024, 09:38:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Atom Configurations for V and Cr  (Read 2778 times)

Offline atadayyon

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Atom Configurations for V and Cr
« on: December 30, 2012, 08:21:53 PM »
Okay, so I understand that the atom configuration for chromium (Cr) is [Ar] 4s13d5 because the d orbitals like to stay "half filled."

Well according to that theory, then shouldn't the atom configuration for Vanadium (V) be [Ar] 4s03d5? This way the s orbital stays empty and the d is half filled?

Why is this incorrect?

Offline Radd

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Atom Configurations for V and Cr
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 03:04:43 AM »
As far as I understand it Cr (I think Mo, Cu, Ag, too) is one of the exceptions to the aufbau principle in the d-block transition metals and Vanadium isn't.

So, for Vanadium, it's business as usual when using the block method to decipher its electron configuration.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: Atom Configurations for V and Cr
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 10:10:22 AM »
You are looking at a balance of two energies, and your atom will, of course, pick the lowest.

First, the s orbital is lower energy than the d orbital.

Second, having a half-filled orbital shell gives you a small lowering of energy.

In general, the s level is close enough to the d level that the small lowering of energy for a half filled s level and a half filled d level is enough that the transition from ns2(n-1)d4 to ns1(n-1)d5 is favorable. You give up a little energy from the difference in s and d, but pick up a little more from having two half filled shells. If you are starting with only five electrons, however, you are losing the energy difference of two electrons going into s instead of d, not just one, and only picking up the half filled bonus for the d shell, not the s shell. The process you are looking at is ns2(n-1)d3 to ns1(n-1)d4 to ns0(n-1)d5, and neither of those steps is favorable energetically.

I hope that description made sense to somebody besides me  :)

Sponsored Links