April 25, 2024, 03:40:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Looking for quantum book recommendations  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Maleficus187

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Looking for quantum book recommendations
« on: December 26, 2012, 09:20:21 PM »
I'm looking to get some recommendations on what a good book would be to get a deeper understanding of quantum theory. I have taken the physical chemistry courses, and the lab course at my undergraduate school, but I just feel like the depth of the material in those courses was lacking due to most students fear and trouble with quantum theory. My only physics courses are the first year physics college courses, basic classical mechanics, a little fluid mechanics, and a little electricity and magnetism, so I was wondering if having a better understanding of classical field theory would be a good idea or if it really wouldn't be too important. I'm most interested in electronic structure theory and bonding theories. I want to try to go with something more in depth than what I have done so far. (we used Atkins Physical chemistry text if that helps) I am about half way through "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat" by John Gribbins, I just feel like it skips too much of deriving concepts, I want to understand quantum entanglement, tunneling, etc. not just be told about it. Or even just some good recommendations for electronic structure theory/bonding theory would be good too. I usually read more relaxed books in my free time like the Gibbins book, but I wouldn't mind a few texts as well as I am almost done with my undergrad and feel like I will have more time in grad school to put towards extra text book reading. Thanks.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Looking for quantum book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 10:34:46 PM »
Try Griffiths.

Alternatively 3rd volume of the  Feynmann Lectures.

Sponsored Links