General Forums > Generic Discussion

cost effectiveness of beer

(1/3) > >>

Corvettaholic:
So last night, my neighbors and I were comparing our thoughts on beer. They had a 12 pack of Natural Light for $12, comes out to something like 58 cents a can. Not bad. I had a 30 pack of Budweiser for $20 (it was on sale). That is around 68 cents a can. Now, in my opinion... Natural Light tastes about as good as canned urine, not that I'd know. So in conclusion, I believe the extra 10 cents spent on each budweiser can is well worth the money.

You guys have any thoughts on this?

jdurg:
Natural Light and Natural Ice are the worst beers ever made by man.  Basically, they are made by just giving people good beer and then canning their slightly alcoholic piss.  It is horrible stuff and no person with taste will drink it.  The extra ten cents a can on Budweiser, while not in the upper echelons of beer, is WELL worth the cost.   ;D

Corvettaholic:
The thing with the "upper class" beers, the cost can get quite astronomical if you're a regular fan of beer. Now, I like guiness. Guiness is freaking expensive. Even more so if you have some friends come over and they want some too. Now here is my point, Budweiser in a can is the all around best choice to have on hand. Reason being, its cheap, tastes decent, and people will instinctively hone in on that big red box. You just put the guiness/corona/rolling rock behind it where nobody can see. I think I'll do some experimentation with beer tonight (diamondbacks are playing) and calculate the price point of all the stuff I like.

jdurg:
Ya see, I'm a beer snob.   :P  I just won't drink the shitty beer.  I LOOOOOOOOOVE Guinness and always prefer to drink that when I go out.  For a light beer, I love Yeungling beer but it's very hard to get it outside of the Pennsylvania area.  I also don't drink beer on a routine basis.  One or two nights a week I'll have a beer, usually when I'm playing *Ignore me, I am dishonest*.  So when I do drink beer, I always make sure it's the good stuff.

(That's why I love this bar not too far from me which serves 36 ounce glasses of Guinness for only 5 bucks).  

billnotgatez:
I was going to chide you guys mightily but I got to thinking you were chemist and the mere mention of fermentation would be beyond your expertise. I know that chemist frown on the word biology and microbiology of yeast would send you over the top.
My point is that anyone with some skill in the laboratory should have the ability to produce their own beer. That would be far better than to complain about the quality of beer that is commercially available. You can make your own high quality beer for the cost of the regular stuff. Now I have to admit it takes patience, which may be in short supply. Also you have to pay attention to cleanliness or you will get bacteria in the beer that may cause the “runs”.
Ok – I have abused you enough but you might try brewing your own. It can be fun.

PS – don’t take the above chiding seriously :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version