March 29, 2024, 03:26:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: cost effectiveness of beer  (Read 11540 times)

Corvettaholic

cost effectiveness of beer
« on: June 18, 2004, 11:47:51 AM »
So last night, my neighbors and I were comparing our thoughts on beer. They had a 12 pack of Natural Light for $12, comes out to something like 58 cents a can. Not bad. I had a 30 pack of Budweiser for $20 (it was on sale). That is around 68 cents a can. Now, in my opinion... Natural Light tastes about as good as canned urine, not that I'd know. So in conclusion, I believe the extra 10 cents spent on each budweiser can is well worth the money.

You guys have any thoughts on this?

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:cost effectiveness of beer
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 02:31:36 PM »
Natural Light and Natural Ice are the worst beers ever made by man.  Basically, they are made by just giving people good beer and then canning their slightly alcoholic piss.  It is horrible stuff and no person with taste will drink it.  The extra ten cents a can on Budweiser, while not in the upper echelons of beer, is WELL worth the cost.   ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Corvettaholic

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 07:02:39 PM »
The thing with the "upper class" beers, the cost can get quite astronomical if you're a regular fan of beer. Now, I like guiness. Guiness is freaking expensive. Even more so if you have some friends come over and they want some too. Now here is my point, Budweiser in a can is the all around best choice to have on hand. Reason being, its cheap, tastes decent, and people will instinctively hone in on that big red box. You just put the guiness/corona/rolling rock behind it where nobody can see. I think I'll do some experimentation with beer tonight (diamondbacks are playing) and calculate the price point of all the stuff I like.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 11:08:52 PM »
Ya see, I'm a beer snob.   :P  I just won't drink the shitty beer.  I LOOOOOOOOOVE Guinness and always prefer to drink that when I go out.  For a light beer, I love Yeungling beer but it's very hard to get it outside of the Pennsylvania area.  I also don't drink beer on a routine basis.  One or two nights a week I'll have a beer, usually when I'm playing *Ignore me, I am dishonest*.  So when I do drink beer, I always make sure it's the good stuff.

(That's why I love this bar not too far from me which serves 36 ounce glasses of Guinness for only 5 bucks).  
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 11:39:17 PM »
I was going to chide you guys mightily but I got to thinking you were chemist and the mere mention of fermentation would be beyond your expertise. I know that chemist frown on the word biology and microbiology of yeast would send you over the top.
My point is that anyone with some skill in the laboratory should have the ability to produce their own beer. That would be far better than to complain about the quality of beer that is commercially available. You can make your own high quality beer for the cost of the regular stuff. Now I have to admit it takes patience, which may be in short supply. Also you have to pay attention to cleanliness or you will get bacteria in the beer that may cause the “runs”.
Ok – I have abused you enough but you might try brewing your own. It can be fun.

PS – don’t take the above chiding seriously :)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 12:09:21 PM »
I won't mind splurging on good stuff. i like hoegaarden. it's a light belgium beer.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Corvettaholic

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 03:30:39 PM »
I would love to try some of the beers that don't exist in america, but that would involve traveling, which would involve money. But hey, I got a free trip to South Korea coming up, no problems there. Can you legally make your own beer? I thought you had to have a license to do that. And isn't the process VERY smelly? My neighbors won't appreciate it too much... but I DO have a nice tin shed to do things in. Does it matter that the temperature here is in the triple digits?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 08:06:31 AM »
http://ringlord.com/people/walrus/homebrew/

Below is a quote from the link above (applies to USA)

Is it legal to brew your own beer at home?
Absolutely! So long as you're old enough to legally buy beer, you can brew up to 100 U.S. gallons (387.5 liters) of beer per year. That's twenty 5 U.S. gallon (~19 liter) batches of homebrew. You'd be brewing a new batch every 2½ weeks. That's a lot of beer!

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 01:05:36 PM »
Ever try turkish efes beer? a nice light beer, very refreshing and clean, lovely!

I am 18 today ;D so my father is taking me out and buying me my first ever legal beer! lol, and right now I could KILL for a nice cold beer to get the smell of ether off my bloody breath ;D

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2004, 08:58:23 PM »
Ever been to a bad beer party?  Those are the worst in the midwest, where you have the absolutely worst beer ever; the kind like when you're praying that you grab a milwaukee's beast.  Meisterbrau is pretty near the bottom of the barrel, along with hamms, Schlitz, and Falstaff (although Falstaff used to be good about 30 years ago from what I understand).  However, the true bottom of the barrel are: Dirt Cheap (and Dirt Cheap Lite), both of which are $1.99/ 6-pack at full price, and the generic label beer... the white can with black lettering that says "Beer" and only lists the government warning besides that.  That crap freezes before water does, and runs you a mere $0.99 / 6-pack.  That is by far the nastiest, although it's getting harder and harder to find.  You have to go to some really redneck places for that--like rural Missouri, Kentucky or Arkansas.  Basically, if you ask the locals what their premium beer is and they say 'Busch', then you know that you're in the right place. :)

Corvettaholic

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 07:07:19 PM »
I've never heard of a bad beer party like that, and I hope I'll NEVER find one! Milwaukee's Crap makes me want to donate lunch to the sidewalk. Here in the Phoenix metro area, on the east side of town is a suburb called Apache Junction. You want the simple 'Beer' labeled can? Thats where you'll get it. I'm too scared to even try, someone is going to have to bet me money to drink that.

Sponsored Links