April 27, 2024, 05:55:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lead plating on aluminum mesh  (Read 3513 times)

Offline maxvortex

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
Lead plating on aluminum mesh
« on: April 22, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »
Is it possible to lead plate aluminium wire mesh ?
I'm making one experiment where i want to plate standard aluminium wire mash with "pure" lead. I’m not using tin, its pure lead.

Max

Offline eazye1334

• Mole Snacks: +18/-1
Re: Lead plating on aluminum mesh
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »
No, it is no simple task to plate onto aluminum due to it's natural passivity. Before doing anything like lead, you would likely need a zincate plate followed by either an electroless nickel strike or a cyanide copper strike. Without those as a base layer, it is likely your lead plating will not adhere to the aluminum.

Offline eazye1334

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:43:19 PM »
You'd also likely need to get lead fluoroborate as your electrolyte, and that's definitely not something you should be doing at home, unless you've got a self-contained breathing apparatus and full body protection at home. It's nasty, very dangerous stuff.

Offline maxvortex

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 03:00:01 AM »
Damn :-) That really seams complicated and nasty to do.
Ok i give up on this but thank you for your reply.

Max

Offline eazye1334

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 07:24:43 AM »
Yeah, outsourcing aluminum plating tasks is usually the best plan, and I've never heard of anyone plating lead at home. Really, the only step of the process that is common for home is the electroless nickel plating which is somewhat easy, especially compared to the rest of the steps you'd be looking at.

And just as a side note in case you're interested, nickel, stainless steel, titanium, cobalt, and rhodium all have issues similar to aluminum, although for different reasons. If you ever have more plating questions, I currently work as the chemical engineer for an electroplating/electroforming shop, so I may be able to answer some of your questions.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:37:21 AM by eazye1334 »

Sponsored Links