March 28, 2024, 04:33:43 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: eliminating odors  (Read 10542 times)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: eliminating odors
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 08:58:44 AM »
I think I have found my answer. What do yall think about propylene glycol?

And why that?

Offline claw

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 04:42:05 PM »
Well its the active ingredient in soap, deodorant, and is scentless. Tell me your input

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »
Proplyene glycol is a common emulsifier, and won't de-scent or capture odors, or react with them to make the odorless.  In fact, it doesn't react with many things at common temperatures, making it a common additive, even in foods.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline claw

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 11:08:48 PM »
So what do you think could work? Im at a stand still here ??? ???

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 11:13:57 PM »
Well its the active ingredient in soap, deodorant, and is scentless. Tell me your input

No input. I don't think there's any magic ingredient that'll get rid all odors. That's almost alchemy.

The rest is experimentation based on your specific case.

Offline claw

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 12:37:44 AM »
ok if human odor is from lipids are there any chemicals that combat that type of odor rather than others?

Offline claw

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 01:11:51 AM »
How about triclosan?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 01:27:36 AM »
why not you make yourself smell like the animal you are looking for

douse your clothes with that animals urine
probably male version

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 01:52:01 AM »
why not you make yourself smell like the animal you are looking for

douse your clothes with that animals urine
probably male version

Agree! Much easier to mask an odor with a stronger one than to eliminate it entirely.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 08:51:49 AM »
Somebody else, on this forum, already has ideas:

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=63621.0

We've already discussed, the very commonly known fact, that you can't "mask" many common scents:

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=63090.0
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »
It takes a little more work than that to mask odors for hunting, especially if you are stalking. The problem is that many of the odors that are normal to humans are triggers to hunted animals, and you have to work at removing a lot of different odors from different places.

Start from the inside - your body. You are a predator, and an animal that sweats. This is not a common condition in the natural world and makes you very obvious to hunted animals. So you need to control the smells coming out of your skin. Some of the most serious close-in stalkers I know do that by going totally vegan for three or four months before hunting trips. They claim it changes the chemical composition of their sweat, removing many of the acids associated with meat digestion and replacing them with the more ammoniac smells of vegetable digestion. Yes, they do smell different, and they are successful hunters.

Then you have the surface of your body, with all the smells of soaps, detergents, and perfumes that help us identify each other. Well, our noses aren't that good and soaps and perfumes are going to be far more obvious to animals. Since these are not normal natural smells, especially in the concentrations we wear them, they are immediate flags for wildlife. This is a hard problem to deal with - soap and perfume smells are for the most part not going to be removed by any of the deodorants you are suggesting, and avoiding soap just increases your own natural scent. My suggestion would be to avoid soap and try to find some detergent that is odorless and has no perfumes or additives.

Next your clothing, with an additional assortment of soaps and perfumes. This is a little easier - wash with plain water and leave to air out for several days before wearing them.

Now your equipment - oils and metals, especially rusty metals, smell. Plastic and rubber smells. Gunpowder residue smells. Wood finishes smell. Leather smells. And none of these smells are natural. There isn't much you can do about any of these smells, either. The best thing you can do is stick to wood and cloth, and use equipment that is at least several seasons old.

So no, Febreze isn't going to make you smell less, and neither will propylene glycol. These are not normal outdoor smells - if you can take a whiff from an open bottle and identify the product, any hunted animal downwind of you will be able to do the same. For everything else, the best you can do is to clean everything as thoroughly as possible and let it air out, avoid new gear, and either change or cover your own natural scents. If you are really obsessive about it, you will eventually train your own nose to pick up the odors of your gear, and you will know what you need to fix or cover. If you can smell it up close, an animal can smell it downwind.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 10:09:17 AM »
@fledermus

Sound practical advice. I agree. I spent some years in a deer hunting state and my hunter friends had similar strategies.

As an aside, the difference between the "mask" and "eliminate" strategies IMHO is this: One way to deodorize is to remove the offending molecules to below the threshold concentration that will trigger a discernible response in the olfactory system of a typical recipient. Often, these are extremely low concentration values, so this strategy may not always be easy.

To me then, the other approach is to introduce a artificial concentration of another odorant that the recipient considers benign. If the relative conc. of the "mask" is high enough the olfactory system ought to have a problem discerning the underlying to-be-masked odor. Key point being,  that every odor does *not* have a unique nasal receptor but an odor is a mental recognition of a particular firing pattern of a small set of receptors.

As an (exaggerated) analogy, say you have a favorite perfume; now I flood a room with an olfactory cocktail of bleach / sewage / garlic / H2S or other such strong odors would you be able to detect the perfume at the same levels?

That's theory though. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the area can comment.

Offline ZizaTremor

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 01:10:52 PM »
As a hunter I would like to say that "masking" or "eliminating" your scent so you can not be detected by an animal is much easier but nastier then you may think. It is very hard to hide your scent from animals as their sense of smell is much greater then our own. Which is why hunting supply stores sell different types of what is basically "animal urine" it masks the smell of the hunter but it's gross as heck. Sadly I am not even joking LOL there are honestly entire shelves of different ones too.

Sponsored Links