April 29, 2024, 10:16:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nomenclature issues  (Read 2311 times)

Offline dscot

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
Nomenclature issues
« on: December 30, 2012, 05:11:16 PM »
Hi all,

I've noticed my teacher has introduced some new nomenclature in our notes without really explaining what they mean, I've tried to find the answer on google but it's one of those things that are hard to search for :)

a)  [1-Me-1-Al-B11H11]2-
If I had to guess I think this means that both Me and Al are bonded to the B in position 1, the problem is that I calculate 12 vertex atoms and it doesn't make sense for Me to be a vertex atom (which would then give a total of 13 vertex atoms)

b) 2,3 -C2B4H8
I think this will have the Borons bonded to the Carbons in position 2 and 3?

Thanks again and please let me know if anything I've said is confusing :)

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Nomenclature issues
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 03:05:56 AM »
Hi all,

I've noticed my teacher has introduced some new nomenclature in our notes without really explaining what they mean, I've tried to find the answer on google but it's one of those things that are hard to search for :)

a)  [1-Me-1-Al-B11H11]2-
If I had to guess I think this means that both Me and Al are bonded to the B in position 1, the problem is that I calculate 12 vertex atoms and it doesn't make sense for Me to be a vertex atom (which would then give a total of 13 vertex atoms)

b) 2,3 -C2B4H8
I think this will have the Borons bonded to the Carbons in position 2 and 3?

Thanks again and please let me know if anything I've said is confusing :)

I would guess that as the aluminium is isolobal with boron, it has replaced it in a carborane structure and that the methyl is directly attached to that. Presumably you are covering things like Wade's rules etc at the moment?

Offline dscot

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 01:44:26 PM »
Hi Sjb,

Thats correct we have been covering those rules on in class, I understand what isolobal means but I'm unsure what you mean by aluminum replacing boron? So I would have 12 vertex atoms one of which being Al? In terms of the actual positions would the Me and Al be bonded to the B in position 1 if I understand the nomenclature correctly?

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 06:25:38 AM »
Hi Sjb,

Thats correct we have been covering those rules on in class, I understand what isolobal means but I'm unsure what you mean by aluminum replacing boron? So I would have 12 vertex atoms one of which being Al? In terms of the actual positions would the Me and Al be bonded to the B in position 1 if I understand the nomenclature correctly?

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Sorry, partially my mistake. In B12H122- all the borons are equivalent in a borane structure and also attached to a hydrogen. In B11Al(Me)H112- one of these borons is replaced by an aluminium, and the aluminium is also bonded to a methyl group. The aluminium is the atom at position 1

(edit: formatting)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:10:36 AM by sjb »

Sponsored Links