April 29, 2024, 08:02:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Problem of the week  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Problem of the week
« on: January 29, 2013, 04:49:09 AM »
This week's problem is physics related: if the road is slippery, and you are about a feet short of full stop before you rear-end collide with the car ahead, what is the cost of the repairs?

Sorry folks, I will do my best to prepare another POTW as soon as possible, but I am busy now, and I will be away next week.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Problem of the week
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 05:04:36 AM »
Repairing you or the car?

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:02:58 AM »
Answer the problems I post, in the meantime. They are tough  ;D.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 02:16:38 PM »
I am OK.

The other car needs some work on the bumper. I don't know yet if everything is OK with my car, it looks OK.

It was an unlucky combination of conditions (snowing, dark, slippery surface), place (the guy I hit slowed down to turn left in a place nobody ever turns left) and circumstances (someone in a snow heap on the right side of the road had their back lights on, so he was in reverse, and I wasn't sure if they will not try to get back on the road - it grabbed my attention from was happening exactly in front of me for a little bit too long). If not for the wheels locked on the slippery snow I would stop without problems with a huge margin. Somehow I have a feeling my ABS did not work, or at least I do remember locked wheels, but I don't remember ABS working. It was low single digits speed collision, more shame than danger.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 02:20:06 PM »
Answer the problems I post, in the meantime. They are tough  ;D.

Actually I was thinking about making the problem with the red residue POTW, it is a really good question. But so far I had no time to try it by myself, and I am not going to post a question that I am not convinced I know the answer.

Even when I think I know the answer sometimes it turns out I don't.

Sponsored Links