April 29, 2024, 04:12:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Column Chromatography with silica gel 60, reverse phase silica gel and Florisil  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Captain Sci

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
    • Material Harvest
Greetings Fellow Chemists!

Several years ago I was a prominent user of these Forums - I would often visit the Organic Chemistry threads to exchange knowledge with fellow students and young academics. It has been a while since I posted anything but I'm keen to make myself available for general chats concerning synthesis and purification.

Chemical synthesis is only half the battle when it comes to completing your projects and exercises in the laboratory - the other half, which becomes increasingly more important as you move from undergraduate to postgraduate studies and beyond, is chemical purification. This isn't always as simple as passing your compound mixture down a column jam-packed with the magic powder that is silica gel 60. Sometimes, your compounds are insoluble or elute at a rate that makes purification difficult. You may have to tweak your solvent system, or change the purification sorbent to a reverse phase silica gel. With dozens of different reverse phases available, how do you know when to choose the right sorbent? How can you predict which purification protocol works best for your compound? Can structural identity provide hints regarding which phases and methods are likely to work?

If you are experiencing difficulties with purification please feel free to contact me. Drop me a line in this thread of send me a private message. Tell me a little about your work, what you are trying to achieve and anything else that is relevant, and I'll do my best to help you out by sharing my knowledge!

I am a PhD graduate in Chemistry. My specialty is conjugated molecules for organic optoelectronic devices, and the years I spent considerable time in the area of chemical purification using silica-based sorbents (both normal and reverse phase chromatography).

Best wishes
<a href="http://www.materialharvest.com">Material Harvest</a> - tell us all about your synthesis and purification requirements

Offline OC pro

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +36/-15
Wrong forum. Mod plz shif to Free Chemistry Advertising, and other links offsite.

Offline Captain Sci

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
    • Material Harvest
Apologies for posting in the wrong Forum  :)

Over the years, even though I was not particularly active on the Forums, I have been getting messages from graduates asking me about the Florisil and silica chromatography techniques that I advised on in previous posts. I'm surprised that people still find these years after they were posted and ask me questions about how they can be applied to help in their research. I am keen to get a discussion going in this area, and I thought the Organic Chemistry section is the best place to get it going - this message is not intended to advertise anything, and I don't think it is getting the right sort of visibility in a market-related section, but I guess the decision has been made!

I look forward to hearing from any graduates who accidentally come across my thread   ;D

Best wishes
<a href="http://www.materialharvest.com">Material Harvest</a> - tell us all about your synthesis and purification requirements

Sponsored Links