April 20, 2024, 04:52:34 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Inorganic: Making balanced equations given reactants and titration problems  (Read 2807 times)

Offline WhatTheMoonBrings

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I need balanced equations for the reactions of sodium peroxoborate (Na2[B2(O2)2(OH)4].6H2O) with:

• sulphuric acid and potassium permanganate
  • sulphuric acid and potassium iodide

If someone can explain to me how to approach and solve these problems I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd also like to know how to approach the following types of inorganic problems:

• Working out the metal involved in a titration reaction (eg "M" in MCl or M[IO3]) given the reactants, molality of the titrator, volume titrated and mass of the starting sample with the metal
  • Working out the degree of hydration of a complex, given the above titration values

If I knew how to identify the reactions involved and what the products should be, I'd be able to make my own balanced equations, which would be a massive help. I'd also like to know what to do with values given for a titration. A textbook recommendation would also be appreciated, thanks.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
You can begin by writing your other reactants as chemical formulas as well.  Since this is a aqueous reaction, the fact that the crystalline form of sodium perborate has water molecules within it isn't relevant to writing a balanced chemical equation.  You'll have to know what the products are as well.  That isn't really trivial.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links