April 29, 2024, 02:32:57 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction of ferric chloride and sulphur dioxide in aqueous solution  (Read 14248 times)

Offline kemensindia

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
What is the reaction when Ferric chloride reacts with sulphur dioxide in aqueous solution?
Does the sulphur dioxide first react with water to form sulphurous acid which in turn reacts with ferric chloride?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Reaction of ferric chloride and sulphur dioxide in aqueous solution
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 07:05:36 AM »
Besides being acidic, what kind of a reagent is aqueous SO2? How might it interact with Fe(III)?

Hint
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline kemensindia

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:29:40 AM »
Besides being acidic, what kind of a reagent is aqueous SO2? How might it interact with Fe(III)?

Hint
I mean what would be the reaction if sulphur dioxide is bubbled through aqueous ferric chloride solution?

Mod edit: Quote tags corrected.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:33:48 AM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:36:48 AM »
I mean what would be the reaction if sulphur dioxide is bubbled through aqueous ferric chloride solution?

Same thing, SO2 dissolves in water. I am trying to help you, but we do not just dump answers here.

Other than an acid, what kind of a reagent is SO2(aq) (sulfurous acid)?

Offline kemensindia

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 02:02:40 AM »

Same thing, SO2 dissolves in water. I am trying to help you, but we do not just dump answers here.

Other than an acid, what kind of a reagent is SO2(aq) (sulfurous acid)?
My knowledge may be very limited. I think sulphurous acid is a bleaching agent which bleaches by reductions. Hence, perhaps would reduce ferric chloride. Is that right?

Mod edit: Quote tags corrected
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:55:13 AM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 06:57:04 AM »
Hence, perhaps would reduce ferric chloride. Is that right?

Yes, sulfurous acid is a reducing agent - so how do you think it will interact with iron(III)?

Offline kemensindia

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 10:34:15 PM »

Hint
Hence, perhaps would reduce ferric chloride. Is that right?

Yes, sulfurous acid is a reducing agent - so how do you think it will interact with iron(III)?

Then in that case it would reduce to the Fe(III) to Fe(II) and itself get oxidised to sulphuric acid. So the reactants would be finally ferric chloride and sulphurous acid and the products ferrous chloride, hydrochloric acid and sulphuric acid. It this is correct I am unable to balance the reaction, making me thing the products may be something different. Is that so?

Mod Edit: Quote tags corrected again. Please type your reply after the quote tags - I have had to correct all of your replies so far. Dan.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:46:42 AM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 02:53:15 AM »
Then in that case it would reduce to the Fe(III) to Fe(II) and itself get oxidised to sulphuric acid. So the reactants would be finally ferric chloride and sulphurous acid and the products ferrous chloride, hydrochloric acid and sulphuric acid. It this is correct I am unable to balance the reaction, making me thing the products may be something different. Is that so?

That's right. You are probably stuck on the balancing because you need water on the left hand side, try balancing this:

FeCl3 + SO2 + H2:rarrow: FeCl2 + HCl + H2SO4

P.S. Please type your reply after the quote tags - I have had to correct all of your replies so far.

Offline kemensindia

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 04:12:42 AM »

That's right. You are probably stuck on the balancing because you need water on the left hand side, try balancing this:

Thanks a lot got it!
I am terribly sorry for the incorrect way of posting. This is my first instance of communication with a forum or even a chat. Sorry for the inconvenience caused and thanks once again.

FeCl3 + SO2 + H2:rarrow: FeCl2 + HCl + H2SO4

P.S. Please type your reply after the quote tags - I have had to correct all of your replies so far.
Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links