May 01, 2024, 10:04:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Friedel-Crafts alkylation  (Read 4730 times)

Offline rleung

• Mole Snacks: +5/-5
  • I'm a mole!
Friedel-Crafts alkylation
« on: January 28, 2006, 10:53:19 AM »
Hi,

I have a question as to why the following reaction yields the following product.  With the way my textbook presents Friedel-Crafts alkylations, it almost seems that if there is chance for a rearrangement, the rearrangement will happen.  In this case, I would predict that the primary carbocation would rearrange into a more stable secondary, but that is not the case.  Thanks.

Ryan
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 10:54:05 AM by rleung »

Offline plu

• Mole Snacks: +15/-7
Re:Friedel-Crafts alkylation
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 01:13:49 PM »
The stability of a six-membered ring over a five-membered ring is possibly the reason behind the observed product.  In addition, since the reaction is unimolecular, it is possible that the carbocation rearrangement (the hydride shift) does not occur due to kinetic reasons as well (the reaction simply goes too fast).

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 04:02:15 PM »
I agree.  In general, for Friedel-Crafts alkylation, the intramolecular rearrangement of the alkyl carbocation is kinetically favored over the intermolecular reaction of the carbocation with the aromatic system.  However, in this case, since both reactions are intramolecular, the assumption that the rearrangement will occur faster than the EAS is not as valid.

Offline rleung

• Mole Snacks: +5/-5
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 08:50:57 PM »
Thanks so much :)

Sponsored Links