April 19, 2024, 03:24:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: PVC Cable Outer Jacket and Body Acids  (Read 2500 times)

Offline beeson76

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
PVC Cable Outer Jacket and Body Acids
« on: January 28, 2013, 03:28:31 PM »
I have a length of PVC Cable Outer Jacket that has become very stiff.  It has not been in the sunlight or in contact with heat or any type of chemical.  The only thing that can touch it is the human body (hands:) to be specific.

Is there anything in the human body, that could cause the plasticizers in PVC to become rigid and stiff.  Maybe like the sweat of hands, or come body acid that could be produced more abundantly in some human bodies.

I appreciate any help that can be provided.  I hope this is the right area to post a question like this.

Thanks.

Offline beeson76

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: PVC Cable Outer Jacket and Body Acids
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »
After looking into it further, the copper conductors are corroded really bad.  So I would like to extend the questions to what kind of body makeup would result in plasticizers being removed from plastic and at the same time copper conductors not only inside the outer jacket but also in the individual wire jackets become corroded.

Thanks again for any help provided.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: PVC Cable Outer Jacket and Body Acids
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:07:22 PM »
Something you've left out is how long this cable has been out in the air.  All plasticizers outgas to some extent over time, and eventually, the plastic becomes brittle.  Also, only real lengthy exposure to really harsh weather seriously corrodes copper conductors, or really long time.  Unless the PVC is being burnt, then the chlorine will speed copper corrosion.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links