April 26, 2024, 05:13:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Absorbance diagrams  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
Absorbance diagrams
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »
The absorbance of solutions of the weak acid HX were obtained. Associate the expected form of the resulting working curve with those shown in figure, under the following conditions:
a) Pure aqueous solutions of HX were used. Only the undissociated species HX absorb.
b) Pure aqueous solutions of HX were used. Only the anionic species X- absorb.
c) All solutions of HX contain an excess of a strong base. Only the undissociated HX species absorb.
d) All solutions of HX contain an excess of a strong acid. Only the undissociated HX species absorb.
e) Pure aqueous solutions of HX were used. Both HX and X- absorb. Measurements were obtained at a wavelength where the molar absorptivities of X- and HX are equal and different than zero.

The diagrams are attached. The formula is A=ε·c·l, the bigger c is, the bigger A gets.
For a), after HX gets dissolved, it ionizes, so the concentration of HX reduces, thus the absorbance should reduce and I thought that it is B, but it is actually A, why?
For b) is the opposite.
c) HX gets neutralized so it is D.
d) HX is only present and its concentration is constant. Why is it C?
e) It's C again. Why is it C i.e. why does the absorbance increase?

I got also a question where it is asked if absorbance is linearly related to the wavelength. I answered no, but it is yes. How so when it is a curve in the function?

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
Re: Absorbance diagrams
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:39:22 AM »
Anyone?

Sponsored Links