April 28, 2024, 10:32:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Facial Masks- why do they heat up?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline intjsegry

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Facial Masks- why do they heat up?
« on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
I am curious, and as much as I have googled I can't seem to find anything relating to facial masks that heat up, besides reviews of a product.... sheesh.. I'd rather have the science behind it, not the review of how it works so you can sell it. Any way, rant over.

I am new to scientific pondering on a continued basis. I was washing my face with Biore Warming Facial masks, and I was wondering "What specific set of chemical reactions makes this heat up?"

I gather it is the interaction of the water and a chemical in it.. but I don't yet have enough chemical knowledge which one, or combination, would cause it to heat up.

Does anyone have a direction of study, or answer to get me started?

Thank you so much! I knew I could not sleep until I least knew I had asked....

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Facial Masks- why do they heat up?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 09:14:14 AM »
If you can find a list of ingredients, you may be able to search on those, and see what reactions is exothermic.  That means the reaction releases heat.  Many reactions do this, some when two reactants are mixed., some when they're simply dissolved in water, or when they're mixed with air (which is technically the same as the first one, just not in the ingredients list, you have to remember its there -- likewise water from your skin and your own dead outer skin layer.)  These reactions are common, and well known, and they could be on the web, with a bit of searching.  Maybe people make their own warming facials, they'll have ingredients in common with the commercial products.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links