April 23, 2024, 08:33:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: which resin to use to detect fluoride (ion chromatography)  (Read 2541 times)

Offline lbman

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
which resin to use to detect fluoride (ion chromatography)
« on: February 05, 2013, 08:54:27 PM »
I'm attempting to build a functional Ion exchange chromatography apparatus complete with a mini computer. What resin should I use to detect trace amounts of fluoride in water and where can I get it?

Anyone ever built one before? any tips?

Thank you

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: which resin to use to detect fluoride (ion chromatography)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:50:46 PM »
A quick Google tells me that the Dionex corporation uses a quaternary ammonium derivitized latex bead for the columns in its ion chromatography systems.  Can't say as I'd ever heard of someone constructing a functional HPLC easier or cheaper than one of the major manufacturers.  I've taken apart some of the most old fashioned and simple ones, and found them to be pretty intricate, elegant even.   They have much to do, controlling pressure, damping irregular flow, even when not under computer control.  Working at high pressures, without failing ... and that's just HPLC's -- the IC suppressor column is a completely different, additional level of complexity.  The computer, built from parts, is likely the simplest part of the system, except maybe for the eluent bottles. ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:08:01 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Stepan

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
  • Air Chemistry Man
    • Supplier of air sampling equipment and services
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:23:44 AM »
Fluoride comes through the column very fast, and often overlaps with noise from injection. Do not mess with making your own column, instead buy one good for fluoride. Another problem is detection. If fluoride is your only target ion, you may want to build a micro fluoride electrode. In this case you do not need column at all. 

Offline lbman

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 12:33:19 AM »
Im thinking that now Im going to take a different approach to this. I want to attempt extraction through electrolysis. Will I be able to pick out the fluorine from all of the other anions in a 3ppm solution? or is it possible to completely "zap" out the hydrogen and (probably) chlorine ions and be left with fluorine at the bottom of the beaker?

Is there an easier way to filter out the water?

This is a project for my first semester of university chemistry ever so please bear with me.  :)
My goal isn't to succeed as much as it is to just experiment.

Offline Stepan

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
  • Air Chemistry Man
    • Supplier of air sampling equipment and services
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:22:10 AM »
Electrolysis is two slow, and is not selective at all. You will loose all fluoride. at 3 ppm level I do not know any other detection methods beside IC and ISE

Sponsored Links