April 25, 2024, 03:33:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Explanation using MO theory  (Read 1815 times)

Offline SinkingTako

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
Explanation using MO theory
« on: February 10, 2013, 07:26:31 AM »
(1) the bond energy of N≡N bond is more than three times that of the N-N bond
I believe this is has got something to do with the bond order, but I'm not sure.

(2) Hydrazine is a weaker base compared to ammonia. Hydrazine has a gauche conformation. So there is less interaction between the lone pairs, making it more stable, thus unlikely to give away electrons. But how does that relate to ammonia, I can't explain.

Then something else: At the respective melting points, the conductivity of molten lithium chloride is greater than that of molten sodium chloride. In aqueous solution, the conductivity of lithium chloride is less than that of sodium chloride.

I believe this is because in the molten state, the ions of lithium chloride has higher charge density because lithium is smaller than sodium, thus better electrical conductor. As for in solution, the sodium ions are bigger in size, thus attract more water molecules, making them better conductors?

Sorry, this set of questions I have doesn't have answer key so any help will be greatly appreciated!Thanks!
Hello!

Offline Sophia7X

• Mole Snacks: +32/-4
  • I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
Re: Explanation using MO theory
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »
N≡N has a bond order of 3
N—N has a bond order of 1
The N≡N will have a σ bond and 2 π bonds, while N—N only has a σ bond.

Think about charge density and the availability of a lone pair to determine the strength of bases. NH3's lone pair is relatively easy to access due to its pyramidal geometry with the lone pair residing on the top of the pyramid.

In the molten crystal, Li+ ions are small so they can move around pretty easily. Conductivity is all about the movement in ions. However, in solution, Li+ will be more strongly hydrated due to its high charge density so it will actually become the largest, which of course makes movement awkward.
Entropy happens.

Offline SinkingTako

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »
Okay thanks! Though I still don't understand the first part: why does bond order 3 mean that it is more than 3 times stronger than bond order of 1?
Hello!

Offline Sophia7X

• Mole Snacks: +32/-4
  • I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:11:27 PM »
Well, in a triple bond, you have 3 pairs of electrons that engage in bonding rather than just 1 pair. Also, the triple bond is shorter and shorter bonds are stronger.

Also, a triple bond is not necessarily three times stronger than a single bond... it depends on the identity of the elements involved.
Entropy happens.

Sponsored Links