April 29, 2024, 02:56:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Definition and contex  (Read 2505 times)

Offline kevinnn

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Definition and contex
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »
  On my new calculus book I bought it sais "calculus early transcendentals."  I asked my teacher what it meant but her answer was short and jumbled because she was in a hurry.  I did a quick search and what came up was pictures of my book and a definitions that had to do with spirituality, numbers, and types functions.  So my question is what does it mean and what does it have to do with calculus?  I would like to narrow down my search by asking you guys because this word seems to get around a lot.  My cover is quite plain and that word is one of the only words on the cover so there is no way i'm going to work through the book without really knowing what it means.  Thanks!           

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Definition and contex
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:55:58 PM »
Try this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental

You will see (after Wikipedia redirects to the verb form Transcendence) that the word has many meanings in English, some for religion, some for philosophy, and some for mathematics.  Feel free to read the mathematics articles to understand the term on your calculus book cover.  Feel free also to read the other sections ... just don;t expect them to have any bearing on mathematics.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links