July 29, 2021, 01:14:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Some help needed for a dissertation on the use of Fluoride in water and dental p  (Read 209 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Biggie2424

  • Very New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I am in Year 12, going onto Year 13 this September, and I have been working on an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification). To put it simply, it's basically just a dissertation, but there are other admin-related tasks that come with it. My title is: 'To what extent is it safe to use fluoride in water and dental products and should we continue to do so?'. One thing that I wish to explore is the chemistry behind why fluoride can be harmful. However upon doing quite a bit of research, I have found nothing. Is it possible for me to discuss this? Or is it too complicated? If anyone could maybe give me a brief explanation or point me towards some resources that would help me out, I would really appreciate it :)

Offline Borek

  • Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • *
  • Posts: 26647
  • Mole Snacks: +1727/-403
  • Gender: Male
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
You mean chemistry behind things like dental fluorosis?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info, pH-meter.info

Offline Orcio_Dojek

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 260
  • Mole Snacks: +24/-2
Concentration of fluorine in drinking water is limited to 1,5 mg / liter in Canada, China and European Union, but to 4,0 mg / liter in the United States.

Higher concentrations of fluorine can be harmful due to the dental or worse - skeletal fluorosis - when fluorine causes substition of Ca3(PO4)2 in bones (Ca3(PO4)2 ----> CaF2)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 09:27:01 AM by Orcio_Dojek »

Offline Babcock_Hall

  • Chemist
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Posts: 4805
  • Mole Snacks: +284/-21
It has long been known that fluoride ion inhibits glycolysis, but whether or not this is relevant to your question is not something that I can answer.  You could try a search using PubMed.

Sponsored Links