March 29, 2024, 11:32:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A thought on solid rocketry  (Read 8931 times)

Corvettaholic

A thought on solid rocketry
« on: June 21, 2004, 03:33:56 PM »
I read that article on the first commercial vehicle in space, and it got me thinking about rocketry again. Well its a hybrid engine, so it has a solid chunk of fuel, and an oxidizer (liquid) is sprayed in there. Easy enough. I think rockets NASA uses are liquid fueled? And ICBM's are solid fuel for quick launching.

For a fun little experiment (which I won't do for safety concerns) would be to make your own tiny bit of solid rocket fuel and launch a toilet paper roll into the next city. I was looking into gun cotton a ways back, and now I'm thinking wouldn't it work for rocket fuel too? I mean, take anything organic and shove it into nitric acid for a while, then you should have all the necessary elements of a flaming ball of goodness. Insert flaming ball of goodness into metal container with one small opening, and you have a rocket, right?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re:A thought on solid rocketry
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 08:12:05 AM »

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:A thought on solid rocketry
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 06:53:55 PM »
I mean, take anything organic and shove it into nitric acid for a while, then you should have all the necessary elements of a flaming ball of goodness. Insert flaming ball of goodness into metal container with one small opening, and you have a rocket, right?

True, but you can never be sure how explosive your substance is going to be. It may end up being shock sensitive.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links