April 28, 2024, 02:06:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Random chemistry question from a non-chemist.  (Read 2516 times)

Offline poopscoobler

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Random chemistry question from a non-chemist.
« on: April 17, 2013, 11:14:31 AM »
Are there any solid ( like plastic ) substances that can be seen clearly through on one side, and on the other side can not be seen through?  Say, looking through one side is like looking through a window or through clear plastic, and looking at the other side, you can only see black, or red, or green.

I am making some costumes and I would like to have different color eyes that can be seen clearly through on only one side. On the other side I'd like them to be black, green, red, purple, blue, and brown. Does this kind of substance exist?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Random chemistry question from a non-chemist.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 11:26:49 AM »
Are there any solid ( like plastic ) substances that can be seen clearly through on one side, and on the other side can not be seen through?  Say, looking through one side is like looking through a window or through clear plastic, and looking at the other side, you can only see black, or red, or green.

I am making some costumes and I would like to have different color eyes that can be seen clearly through on only one side. On the other side I'd like them to be black, green, red, purple, blue, and brown. Does this kind of substance exist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=One-way_mirror&oldid=547172616  ?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Random chemistry question from a non-chemist.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 12:12:02 PM »
Many optical interference filters have one, mostly opaque mirror finish on reflectance (that's if you're looking at them from a distance) and a a single transparent color if you're looking through them.  Here's a source that will sell to citizen chemists:  http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/optical-filters/  Although the partially silvered mirror mentioned by sjb: is really the cheapest way to go about it.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links