March 28, 2024, 06:15:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cyclic trimers  (Read 7457 times)

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
Re: Cyclic trimers
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 01:06:41 PM »
Good, thanks for the help. There is one last question considering this problem:

One of the substances isoelectronic to Y transforms in the presence of water traces into polymer Z. 1.00 g of Z was dissolved in water and the resulting solution was added to the excess of barium acetate solution. The precipitate with the mass of 2.91 g was formed. Determine the formula of Z and draw its structure.

Isoelectronic - it could be a compound where an element from the ring is replaces with another element or group. I thought that the isoelectronic substance contains -OH groups instead of fluorine. The hydrolysis would be:
(SNOOH)3+6H2O :rarrow: 3H2SO4+3NH3
When barium is added, I got that the mass of the precipitate is 2.88g. Now the difference is slightly bigger, so I suspect if my solution is right. Is it? If yes what would be the formula of the polymer?

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
Re: Cyclic trimers
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 01:22:10 PM »
I assumed now that 2 fluorine atoms are replaced with NH2 groups and one with OH group, and I got the correct mass. Still can't draw the formula of the polymer  :-\.

EDIT: I got now a rush of ideas  >:D, and I think that the molecule before polymerization is the one attached. When polymerization occurs, amide linkages are made. This could be it, only when hydrolysis ocured what was made from -CH3? C oxidation number is -2. Is ethene made?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:36:59 PM by Raderford »

Sponsored Links