April 29, 2024, 08:10:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help with Highschool project {molecular gastronomy}  (Read 3284 times)

Offline pigisstupid

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help with Highschool project {molecular gastronomy}
« on: February 26, 2013, 11:30:36 PM »
We are doing an assignment on molecular gastronomy,
The reason are to
"Identify the chemical concept(s) that affect the way the recipe tastes and demonstrate the ability to modify that concept to change the taste or texture of the recipe."
"Use your existing knowledge of ratios, acids, bases, and heat applies in a culinary setting."

I decided to do this
http://www.molecularrecipes.com/transformation/nutella-powder-caramelized-bananas/
I need help figuring out the chemical reaction when nutella and malodextiren are mixed. Am i suppose to find the chemical compounds of all of the separate ingredients in nutella and combine it with malodexterine and create a new equation or what.

Now for the recipe
i can do nutella shake, but the only thing i would be changing is the texture of nutella, but the end result would only be that it would take less time to make the shake, no difference in taste, maybe texture because nutella(original) and milk will be a thick texture,, but nutella (powered) and milk will be less thin.

I can go with something like protein power and nutella. If you combine the original nutella into protein powder for lets say the next morning, it going to be a mess, meaning the protein is going to get wet and forms clogs, but if i mixed nutella powder with protein powder that the whole container would stay dry.

which one should i go with.
http://www.fitnesstreats.com/2011/02/craving-for-nutella/

Also what kind of a rection would this be considered, acid/base oxidation/reduction
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:51:18 AM by Arkcon »

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Help with Highschool project
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 03:53:48 AM »
I doubt three is a strictly chemical reaction between nutella and maltodextrin, more like maltodextrin is used as an inert carrier.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline pigisstupid

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 01:01:23 AM »
so there would be no way to identify a chemical reaction for this project.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 04:29:01 AM »
There are chemical concepts involved, even if these are not simple reactions.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline pigisstupid

Help me on figure this out
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 04:02:55 AM »
I am doing a molecular gastronomy project for high school chemistry class. We are either suppose to look at reactions or use chemistry to improve or perfect a recipe

this is my recipe. I am not doing this excat one, i am comparing nutella milkshake with nutella powder milkshake

http://www.molecularrecipes.com/transformation/nutella-powder-caramelized-bananas/

I can either look at the reactions for both milkshakes or I can use chemistry to find a perfect ration of nutella to maltodextrin to make the powder as DRY as possible.

which one would you guys recommend and where would i start with each one

and also how would one measure dryness, I just need to know for my purposes which is nutella powered ??? and i want it complete dry so it doesnt stick to anything.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 04:37:23 AM »
@pigisstupid
I have merged your posts since they are on the same topic

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Help with Highschool project {molecular gastronomy}
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 08:55:30 AM »
Since the assignment mentions that you use your knowledge of acids and bases in your project, you might want to change the recipe you're going to work with.  A simple food, the application of acid or base, and heat, then try to realize the effect.  I like to eat frostin ... erm ... Nutella brand hazelnut spread as well.  But the mixture is too complex to understand easily, under the terms of the assignment.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links