April 23, 2024, 06:56:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: H2SO4 Solution Volume Loss  (Read 4511 times)

redzilla

H2SO4 Solution Volume Loss
« on: January 26, 2006, 01:42:43 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am in the middle of preparing a standard titanium dioxide volumetric solution. The TiO2 was dissolved in concentrated H2SO4 and then was transferred appropriately to a volumetric flask. A little more H2SO4 was added and then I just needed to fill it to the mark with water, which I did. As soon as I inverted the flask to mix the solution, the volume immediately decreased by about a mL. I continued mixing and when I was done, the solution looked like it decreased in volume by a few mL's.

My question is...do I add more water to the flask to bring it back to volume, or do I leave it as is? What are the consequences in terms of the concentration if I were to leave it as is, or if I would bring it to the mark again? *delete me*!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:H2SO4 Solution Volume Loss
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 03:46:42 PM »
Fill it up, you must know final volume, not some intermediary values. Such contraction in volume  is nothing unusual, especially if you use more concentrated solutions - volume is not additive.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links