March 28, 2024, 02:56:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Separation of acetal using column - silica or alumina?  (Read 4052 times)

Offline baum0372

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Separation of acetal using column - silica or alumina?
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:57:17 PM »
I am trying to separate a compound that I protected as the acetal using 2,2-dimethoxypropane.  TLC shows that almost all of my original starting material converts to the protected compound, however, when I separate on a column (silica) I can only isolate around 60% of my compound.  I have heard from others that acetals can degrade on silica since it is acidic.

So my question is (assuming the silica actually can degrade my compound) how I can neutralize the silica so that this doesn't happen, or do I switch to alumina to separate?  Thanks!

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Separation of acetal using column - silica or alumina?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:16:46 AM »
Surely if your compound were decomposing on silica you would see the same effect on TLC?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Archer

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-20
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 12:36:05 AM »
Generally if a substance is degraded on silica your separation is terrible as it happens gradually as the sample passes through the column.

Acetals are not that unstable and as discodermolide points out this effect would be most likely observed on a TLC plate.
“ I love him. He's hops. He's barley. He's protein. He's a meal. ”

Denis Leary.

Offline stewie griffin

• Mole Snacks: +61/-7
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 07:47:32 PM »
Check the TLC after extraction to make sure nothing funny happens during workup. Check for possible degradation on silica using 2D TLC.
If the acetal were degrading I would expect you would be getting your diol back out. Do you recover your starting diol?

To answer your question though, you can deactivate the silica by putting a small amount of triethylamine in your mobile phase. I forget the amount I used to use, but something like a few drops per liter. You will have to experiment what works best for you.

Sponsored Links