March 28, 2024, 05:45:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Balancing Chemical Equation  (Read 8521 times)

Offline kidmo87

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Balancing Chemical Equation
« on: March 07, 2013, 05:53:56 PM »
Hello everyone. I am stuck on trying to balance chemical equations. I have the answer, but I just don't know how to plug in numbers, because when I look at it, at already looks balanced. The questions is: Write balanced net ionic equation for the precipitation reaction of CaCl2 and Cs3PO4
AB+CD :rarrow: AD+CD
CaCl2 + Cs3PO4  :rarrow: CaPO4 + Cs3Cl2.
and on the homework the answer says:
3CaCl2 + 2Cs3PO4  :rarrow: 6CsCl + Ca3(PO4)2

Honestly, Im horrible at chemistry, but when I look, I don't see how my equation isn't balanced. I would really appreciate some help, thanks.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:14:19 PM by kidmo87 »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Balancing Chemical Equation
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:06:31 PM »
Write balanced net ionic equation for the precipitation reaction of CaCl2 and CsPO4

Is it really asking about CsPO4, or is it asking about cesium phosphate? What is the formula of the cesium phosphate?

The answer you listed is not a net ionic equation.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline kidmo87

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:15:49 PM »
Oh im sorry, its actually CaCl2 and Cs3PO4. And no, it asks like how I wrote it.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 06:58:09 PM »
What is the difference between your answer, and the correct one?  Can you see what you did wrong?  Do the products match?  And why not?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline kidmo87

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 07:06:49 PM »
Honestly, other than them being switched around, but I though it was AB+CD :rarrow: AD+CB.
Like I don't understand why mine is unbalanced for me to start inserting numbers to make them balanced.

Offline hockey101

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 09:10:42 PM »
I can see what the problem is....if you look at Cs on the Periodic table its a +1 (i forgot what their called valance electrons maybe?) and Cl is a -1.  So when you do the criss-cross rule, they cancel out since its 1 to 1.  So it should read CsCl.  You do that for all the elements.  For PO4, I believe you have to look in your chem book because its a polyatomic ion.  According to table 9.3 in my book, PO4 reads at a charge of 3-.  So for your Ca and PO4 Ca is a 2+ charge and PO4 is a 3-.  When you do the criss-cross rule, it becomes Ca3(PO4)2.  Then after all that you should be able to start balancing....hope this helps!!

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 01:45:42 PM »
forgive me for being a bit puzzled here but is this seriously an "undergraduate level" problem. This is the kind of stuff I was expected to do at age 14 in high school.  ???
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 02:01:20 PM »
forgive me for being a bit puzzled here but is this seriously an "undergraduate level" problem. This is the kind of stuff I was expected to do at age 14 in high school.  ???

Good point. Moved.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links