April 27, 2024, 02:16:19 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can't figure out how to write electron configurations?  (Read 3976 times)

Offline N64 Gamer

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can't figure out how to write electron configurations?
« on: March 07, 2013, 12:49:49 PM »

My textbook has a figure like the one above.

But for some reasons it doesn't always work. Like for example the electron configuration for Cadmium. According to my facits:

I don't understand why the 3d^10 comes before the 4s^2

According to the figure, that shouldn't be the case?

I remember a long time ago I heard that the figure above does not count for transition metals? Or was it ions? I don't remember it exactly and my textbook gives me nothing, so could somebody please verify that and give me some explanation? :( When can I use the figure above and when can't I? And if I can't use the figure above, what other methods do I use?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Can't figure out how to write electron configurations?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 01:57:14 PM »
Filling order is not necessarily reflected in the notation, it is common to group the orbitals according to the main quantum number.

In other words:

1s22s22p63s23p64s23d5

and

1s22s22p63s23p63d54s2

mean exactly the same.

There are some minor exclusions from the Aufbau principle, but I guess that's now what you are looking for.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline N64 Gamer

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »
Filling order is not necessarily reflected in the notation, it is common to group the orbitals according to the main quantum number.

In other words:

1s22s22p63s23p64s23d5

and

1s22s22p63s23p63d54s2

mean exactly the same.

There are some minor exclusions from the Aufbau principle, but I guess that's now what you are looking for.

Actually, my book mentions the Aufbau principle but they don't explain it well enough. I think it might be the Aufbau principle that got me confused.
I remember there was a technique where you had to count how many columns an element was from the noble gas group.
I'm not sure if you know what method I'm referring to.

Offline antimatter101

• Mole Snacks: +9/-26
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 05:38:29 AM »
Shells don't necessarily have the same energy level, thus giving rise to hypervalence like in sulphuric acid and phosphoric acid.

Sponsored Links