April 25, 2024, 02:00:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: {Orbital diagram - ammonia}  (Read 6430 times)

Offline mel9

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
{Orbital diagram - ammonia}
« on: March 08, 2013, 03:47:53 AM »
I'm doing an assignment that is due soon and stuck on these questions. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!!

4.  Draw an orbital overlap diagram to represent the bonding in ammonia, NH3. (5 marks)

6.  Experimental evidence suggests that the nitrogen atom in ammonia, NH3, has four identical orbitals in the shape of a pyramid or tetrahedron.

a) Draw an energy-level diagram to show the formation of these hybrid orbitals. (Hint: No electron promotion is required.) (4 marks)

b) Name the type of hybrid orbitals found in NH3. Of the four hybrid orbitals on the N atom, how many will take part in bonding? Explain. (2 marks)

c) Draw for yourself the energy-level diagram showing the hybrid orbitals formed in the C atom when it bonds. Now look at those hybrid orbitals and those of the N atom, and describe how the bonding with a N atom will differ with the bonding that occurs with a C atom, even though both atoms have four hybrid orbitals oriented in a tetrahedral shape. (2 marks)

7. a) Calculate the differences in electronegativity between the elements in each of those compounds. (3 marks)
   i) CaBr2
   ii) Na3N
   iii) CH4

b) Predict whether each of these compounds would be an ionic or a molecular compound and justify each prediction. (3 marks)

c) Rank the bonds in these compounds in order of decreasing ionic character. Where do we always find compounds containing metals, in this ranking order? (2 marks)

*{MOD Edit -- useful title}*
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:11:29 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Please help with questions!!!!!!! Chem 12U
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 03:57:53 AM »
You must show you have attempted the question, this is a Forum Rule.

Please read the Forum Rules and Posting Etiquette.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Sponsored Links