April 19, 2024, 03:49:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Entropy and Enthalpy and what drives reactions...  (Read 7197 times)

Byrne

Entropy and Enthalpy and what drives reactions...
« on: January 28, 2006, 08:46:29 PM »
(i) towards maximum randomness

Well, randomness is associated with entropy.  The reactants side of this particular equation would possess the most randomness because there are more entities on the this side of the equation and compounds in the gaseous state exhibit a higher degree of randomness than compounds in the solid state do.  Therefore, the reverse reaction is driven by the tendency towards maximum randomness.

(ii) towards minumum energy

I'm not really sure what this means exactly.  Does it have something to do with the fact that the reaction is exothermic and therefore the activiation energy in the forward direction would be less than that in the reverse direction?  

Help...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 08:54:45 PM by Byrne »

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re:Entropy and Enthalpy and what drives reactions...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 12:53:40 AM »
Are you talking about in general or for a specific reaction?  Beause entropy does not always favor the reactant side, in general.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 03:23:22 AM »
What drives a reaction is the drive to minimum free energy.

G = H - TS
dG = dH - TdS - SdT
Under isothermal condition, the above equation reduces to:
dG = dH - TdS

For a chemical reaction to occur, dG < 0

From the above equation, one can tell that whether a chemical reaction occurs depends on its enthalpy change and change of entropy.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 01:47:24 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Byrne

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 11:53:58 AM »
I'm sorry, I forgot to actually write the reaction down  :-\

Y(s) + 2N(g) <---> 2Z(s), DeltaH = -800kJ

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 03:39:59 PM »
(i) Yes, you are correct.

(ii) You're somewhat on the right track, but the explanation does not have to do with activation energy (you only need to consider activation energy for kinetics, not thermodynamics).  The reaction is exothermic so that means that the reaction releases energy.  By the conservation of energy, that energy must have come from the reactants.  So, this means that the products are at a lower potential energy than the reactants.  By the equation geodome posted above, will tend to proceed toward lowering potential energy (much like objects will fall down in order to lower their gravitational potential energy).  So, enthalpy will favor the forward reaction.

In general, enthalpy will favor the forward reaction for exothermic processes while it will favor the reverse reaction for endothermic processes.

Sponsored Links