April 27, 2024, 02:08:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: This is the random section so here's something random.  (Read 8808 times)

randomguy

This is the random section so here's something random.
« on: June 25, 2004, 08:29:27 AM »
I think this is one of the most random things to happen in my life so far. I woke up this morning wondering how the hell do you make chloroform. Anyway, I  got lazy and stumbled upon this forum so I said might as well ask it here. Anybody wanna tell me how to make the stuff or just what chemicals make up the stuff actually is the question in my head right now.  ???

Note
Now that I think about it, I might have thought about how to make it (or what makes it up) because I read one of my dad's many European comic books last night (i.e. Tintin or some other French or Belgian comic) for the umpteenth time and the guy got chloroform-ed halfway through.

Limpet Chicken

Re:This is the random section so here's something random.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 10:47:33 AM »
Chloroform is easy, just reflux a vast excess of sodium hypochlorite, made by bubling chlorine through COLD (hot leads to almost entirely chlorate) NaOH solution with acetone and distill.

Corvettaholic

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 12:21:45 PM »
Isn't choloroform one of first anesthics ever used? I'm sure that would be one hell of a pain killer, and probably a good way to die...

Limpet Chicken

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 02:22:36 AM »
Indeed it is, however they stopped using chloroform in surgery because it can cause heart problems, not to mention that it produces a fair amount of sickness and chloroform-hangover after use. Diethyl ether is a far preferable alternative to CCl3, and I can say that through experience ;D

Sponsored Links