April 19, 2024, 02:54:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NH4Cl and Ca(OH)2: Potential reaction?  (Read 6811 times)

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
NH4Cl and Ca(OH)2: Potential reaction?
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:54:58 AM »
NH4Cl has been reported in several patents to increase the solubility of Ca(OH)2 in water by an  order of magnitude.

Would there be any chance of a chemical reaction (Temp ~ 60 C)? I was hoping not, since dissolved Ca(OH)2 is the reagent of interest to me.

Possibilities I worried about:

(1) NH4Cl  :rarrow: NH3  :spinup: + HCl

(2a) NH4Cl + H2:rarrow: NH4OH + HCl

(1b & 2b) Ca(OH)2 + 2 HCl  :rarrow: CaCl2 + 2 H2O

(3) 2 NH4Cl + Ca(OH)2  :rarrow: 2 NH4OH + CaCl2

Are any of these reactions likely?

Previously I thought the solubility enhancing effects are from activity coefficents alone (at high ionic conc.) but the fact that NH4Cl is the only salt that has such a great effect on solubility of Ca(OH)2 causes  me to wonder.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: NH4Cl and Ca(OH)2: Potential reaction?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:25:57 AM »
Technically adding NH4Cl you are not increasing solubility of Ca(OH)2, you are dissolving it in a weak acid.

Ca(OH)2 + 2NH4+ :rarrow: Ca2+ + 2NH3 + 2H2O
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 02:27:38 AM »
Technically adding NH4Cl you are not increasing solubility of Ca(OH)2, you are dissolving it in a weak acid.

Ca(OH)2 + 2NH4+ :rarrow: Ca2+ + 2NH3 + 2H2O

Thanks! No simple way of knowing if or not this affects the availability of the lime for a reaction, right?

e.g. Say I'd a reaction needing x parts of saturated lime solution before. If apparent solubility has been enhanced 10 times due to NH4Cl can I bank on (roughly) using 1/10th the quantity of lime solution?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 05:02:36 AM »
I would say it depends.

If what you need is just Ca2+ situation is quite different than if you need just high pH. And the situation is even more different if you need both.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 05:58:02 AM »
I would say it depends.

If what you need is just Ca2+ situation is quite different than if you need just high pH. And the situation is even more different if you need both.

This reaction is what I need it for. I'd say I need the Ca2+ ions but not sure how I decide if I need the pH or not.

[*]C(Cl)C(O)[*]>>[*]C1OC1[*]

More specifically, this reaction:
c1ccccc1C(O)C[Cl]>>c1ccccc1C2OC2

Somehow the first trial (with NH4Cl as a solubility aid) gave a very low conversion  and I'm trying to debug why.....Equivalent amounts of Lime (with no NH4Cl added)  provided as a slurry gave almost quantitative conversion. Which was counter-intuitive to me. Dissolution ought to have helped but it actually hurt?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:28:09 AM by curiouscat »

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 09:11:49 AM »
This is quite poor method and great result cannot be expected

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00706-008-0083-5?LI=true#page-1
http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=cv1p0494
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2582114.pdf

What's your basis for concluding that it is a poor method? None of those references have any Ca(OH)2 and definitely no  NH4Cl?  (That last patent does use Ca-Acetate! Interesting find! Thanks. Looking it up)

Note that this isn't for a small scale lab prep. So not using I2 / KOH / peroxy compounds has other cost / logistical / safety / effluent advantages. Ca(OH)2 seems a good choice; the search now is about ways to optimize the scheme.

What am I missing?

Sure those are alternatives. Maybe I wasn't clear: Ca(OH)2 by itself is proving not a bad alternative. I'd have expected Ca(OH)2 + NH4Cl to be better but somehow it is not. And that is the surprise.

The comparison  isn't between Ca(OH)2 and other routes but by Ca(OH)2 but with and without NH4Cl.

Sponsored Links