April 16, 2024, 02:21:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical Synthesis of an unknown starting with 3-(2-hydroxyphenyl)propanoic aci  (Read 2711 times)

Offline SethFlanders

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello,

I am currently working on an unknown synthesis but am having some trouble.

The reaction I have found starts with 3-(2-hydroxyphenyl)propanoic acid and then Ph3P, DEAD, and THF are used in the reaction.  I have found information on the Mitsunobu Reaction that seems to use these reagents and the alcohol should be removed to and replaced with N3.  I am unable to find a product with that arrangement though.  I was wondering if anyone knew what I am doing wrong and how to figure out what the final product is.

Thanks,
Seth

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
That's all well and good but have you given us all the info.? I would thing that the Mitsunobu reaction would not work well with a free carboxylic acid present, it should maybe be an ester?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline SethFlanders

The Mitsunobu reaction was what I found that used the reagents that my synthesis showed.  I guess it is possible that it isn't a Mitsunobu reaction.  Is there another reaction using THF,DEAD, and Ph3P?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
This reaction is used for the inversion of chiral OH centers or macrolactonisation.
To replace your OH with azide you will need a source of azide, which you don't have in your description.
My Research History

Offline SethFlanders

The azide I have realized is not in it.  Something happens to one or both of the alcohols in the reaction.  This is a new reaction to me and I am unfamiliar with macrolactonisation.  Do both OH's invert or does only one?

Offline SethFlanders

I also forgot that I have seen the unknown.  I am aware that it is a clear liquid at room temperature.  The odor is also odd and very strong but I have no idea how to describe it.

Also, do you know the name of the reaction in this case?  Then I can look it up and figure it out.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:44:47 AM by SethFlanders »

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
    • My research history
The azide I have realized is not in it.  Something happens to one or both of the alcohols in the reaction.  This is a new reaction to me and I am unfamiliar with macrolactonisation.  Do both OH's invert or does only one?

In this molecule there are no chiral centers. You have a phenol and a carboxylic acid. Macrolactonisation is an esterification reaction, usually used to form large rings structures. What may happen here is just that and you get initially this structure.
O=C1OC2=CC=CC=C2CC1

My Research History

Offline SethFlanders

Thank you for your help.  I have been extremely busy lately.

Sponsored Links