April 28, 2024, 11:03:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Improvements of Neutralization Investigation  (Read 1790 times)

Offline daisychain

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Improvements of Neutralization Investigation
« on: March 18, 2013, 04:15:08 AM »
I need some help thinking up some improvements for this investigation, I've come up with some at the end, are there anymore that could be used?

Aim: To determine the enthalpy of netralisation of the reactions between both strong and weak acids with sodium hydroxide.

Equipment
2 x polystyrene cups
2 x plastic lids with holes
3 x 100cm3 beakers
1 thermometer
about 60 ml of 1.00 molL-1 HCl
about 60 ml of 1.00 molL-1 CH3COOH
about 60 ml of 1.00 molL-1 NaOH
1 x 100 cm3 measuring cyliner

Method
1. Collect about 60mL of each solution from the stock bottles into the appropriate beaker.
2. Measure 20.0 cm3 of 1.00M HCl with the measuring cylinder and pour it into a polysterene cup. Place lid on cup. Ensure there is a hole in the center of the lid through which to fit the thermometer.
3.Measure 20.0 cm3 of 1.00M NaOH into the measuring cyliner
4. Measure the temperature of the HCl in the polystyrene cup every 30 seconds for 2 and a half minutes. At the 3 minute mark, add the NaOH quickly and carefully, with stirring, and record the temperature.
5. Continue to stir the mixture gently using the thermometer and to measure the temperature of the mixture every 30 seconds for a further 5 minutes.
6. Repeat above procedures, this time using CH3COOH in place of the HCL

Some improvements that I thought up was to use somewhat of a clear lid to make better observations. (color change even though there were none.) To use a temperature probe, because we used a regular thermometer which meant we were eyeing the temperatures potentially creating random errors. Also to do atleast 3 trials for each HCL and CH3COOH, so you can calculate averages. Maybe to use a calorimeter? Any others you can think of? Thanks so much for any assistance! :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:40:56 AM by daisychain »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Improvements of Neutralization Investigation
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 05:02:23 AM »
http://www.titrations.info/pipette-burette

Technically it is abut titration, but it perfectly applies to your situation.

Also: how are you going to calculate the neutralization heat? Are you making some simplifying assumptions?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links