April 19, 2024, 06:25:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why doesn't a carboxylic acid ionise completely when dissolved in water?  (Read 2637 times)

Offline MattA147

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Hi guys, basically as the title says. We learnt today in chem class that Carboxylic acids don't form strong acids when dissolved in water because they don't ionise completely. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
I am not sure what kind of answer are you looking form. They are weak acids, that's all.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Have you discussed entropy?  When a carboxylic acid ionizes, waters of hydration must order themselves around the two new charges, and that is unfavorable. 

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
I am not sure what kind of answer are you looking form. They are weak acids, that's all.
I think he's asking why carboxylic acids are weak rather than strong.  And I think the previous poster is on the right track with an answer.  Of course, spheres of hydration must form around new charges when ANY acid dissociates, so that in itself does not explain why carboxylic acids are weak.  If I were pressed into an off-the-cuff explanation, I'd say it has to do with the initial degree of polarization (and the size) of the undissociated acids.  If they're already polarized, the entropy change between the starting material and the dissociated product will be smaller than if the molecule starts out less polarized.

That said, trends in dissociation and solubility constants are hard to rationalize in any general way because there are so many factors involved - enthalpy of bond breaking and formation as well as entropy of the products and the solution states.  Resonance states (in the case of carboxylic acids and some strong acids like nitric acid) also are impactful.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links