April 20, 2024, 05:49:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: any reagent which will change color with the poo?  (Read 7709 times)

shanelinnz

any reagent which will change color with the poo?
« on: January 30, 2006, 07:43:16 PM »
 ??? Is there any reagent which will change color with the poo but not with the urine? or change slowly with the urine but quickly with the poo? Very appreciated for any comments.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re:any reagent which will change color with the poo?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 07:58:01 PM »
This might depend on exactly what you are testing for in each case. Is there something specific you want to identify in the feces that is not present in the urine?
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

shanelinnz

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 08:14:22 PM »
Yes, I am wondering if someone can solve my son's problem.
My son: 1 year old,
Problem: red rash with his buttock, often happened soon after he pooed. But has no problem if he just pass the water, even for a long time.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 08:35:46 PM »
I would strongly suggest NOT using any "reagents" on, near or around your baby.

I would suggest you seek the advice of your doctor.

:)
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 04:34:26 PM »
See a dermatologist. They specify in skin issues.

It may also being something parasitic in his intestines. When he "poos" the parasitic creature may be able to live in/on his skin.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 06:06:23 PM »
Current diaper design absorbs and creates a shield against contact with urine. My knowledge base does not have any information that the feces issue has been addressed.

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 07:22:55 PM »
Excellent question.  I knew all of those years of listening to Howard Stern would pay off.  Here's how you do it.  Hook up a GC flame ionization detector near you're son's crib with an intake fan to draw ambient air to the detector.  Electronically interface the detector to a sign outside the door of your son's room to read either "Change diaper" or "OK".  The If-then logic circuit would be based upon the mV response of the detector (calibration will have to be done manually to set the mV number).  The beauty of #2 is that there is plenty of odor and it readily diffuses through the diaper wall, you don't need a reagent to inform you.  My first instinct was to focus on sulfur species.  Those types of detectors (ie chemiluminescence) are too tricky for routine use.  Additionally, the amount of organic material during a #2 incident is far greater than the sulfurous material that is evident based upon odor.  Older generations of GC's used to use a lead impregnated paper to detect H2S at ppb levels (it would turn black).  However, young kids are susceptible to lead poisoning so the potential for poisoning isn't worth the risk.

Sponsored Links