March 29, 2024, 01:36:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Metabolism for dummies textbook  (Read 2407 times)

Offline mrmooky

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Metabolism for dummies textbook
« on: March 13, 2013, 02:29:19 AM »
Hi all,

I'm a second year medical science undergrad who didn't pay enough attention in my first year lectures on metabolism. I'm wondering if anybody knows of a good, short textbook or section of textbook that succinctly explains the basics of human metabolic pathways such as glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, the citric acid cycle, fatty acid metabolism and the electron transport chain. The only textbooks I've been able to find so far drag all this material out over several hundred pages. I'm looking for a textbook that doesn't go into much detail, but covers the abovementioned ground in about fifty pages or so. A kind of "metabolism for dummies", really. Can anybody help me out?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: Metabolism for dummies textbook
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:53:34 AM »
Closest things I can think of are "Basic Concepts in Biochemistry" by Gilbert, and PDQ Biochemistry by Baker and Murray.

Offline smellycat6464

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Metabolism for dummies textbook
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »
I hope I don't get tarred and feathered for saying this...but I really think youtube animations do a fantastic job explain the basics of metabolic processes.

I remember when I took my general courses that I lived off youtube. V-cell's channel has some great animations for ATP synthase activity, and electron transport chains (even the one for photosynthesis)

As for the other processes, like glycolysis and such, I'm sure Kahnacademy or some other e-educator equivalent would have the pathway mapped out.

Although, if you want something super in depth, then these may not work for you.

Hope this helps!

Sponsored Links