April 26, 2024, 12:39:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do I write SMILES code for chmoogle?  (Read 7503 times)

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
How do I write SMILES code for chmoogle?
« on: January 15, 2006, 06:31:15 PM »
Click the "draw structure" link in the chmoogle block. Draw your structure, after finishing press the button with the picture of the SMILE on it and copy/paste the code to the textbox. You may ask, why you have to do so much work when you could of gone to chmoogle.com and done it just as easily without copying and pasting. I wonder too, but thats just the way chmoogle treats their affiliates. Plus, they have only been operational since November 2005, and I'm sure they'll fix that problem in time.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

cjames53

Re:How do I write SMILES code for chmoogle?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 01:07:18 AM »
Plus chmoogle doesn't even pay their affiliates, but oh-well.  :D

Actually, no search sites pay their affiliates.  The way Google, Yahoo, etc. do it is to have "Peter pay Paul" -- Peter advertises, Paul  shows the ad, and when Mary clicks the ad, Peter pays Google ten cents, Google keeps a nickle, and Paul gets the other nickle, and if Paul is lucky, Mary buys something.

Craig

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 01:23:48 AM »
Would you know why the java applet doesn't pass the SMILES code back to the textbox?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 01:24:16 AM by Mitch »
3. Forum Supports LaTex

cjames53

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 12:16:02 PM »
Would you know why the java applet doesn't pass the SMILES code back to the textbox?

We recently made a change that broke the "Chmoogle Boxes" on sites like this one.  Our apologies!  But is should be fixed now.

Based on how you (Mitch) squeezed the Chmoogle box, and other sites we've seen, we tried to offer some new suggestions.  Please check the Chmoogle Free instructions again (you have to go through the "I agree..." Terms of Use again):

http://www.chmoogle.com/doc/chmoogle_free.htm

There are five suggested Chmoogle Boxes.  The system works differently now - it uses a separate pop-up window for the Chmoogle results.  We discovered that, due to some security restrictions between Java and JavaScript, the original HTML code we published didn't work reliably.  So you might want to look at the new suggested code and see if that works better for your web site.

The answer to your specific question is actually related to the changes: The security model of Java/JavaScript prevents the Java Applet from communicating with the Chemical-Forums window, because the pop-up window came from a different URL.

Craig
eMolecules

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 04:41:09 PM »
The new choices look nice. I would suggest that you warn users that they will have to enable pop-up windows somewhere in the java applet itself or at least when it displays this

This window should close...

SMILES = C#N
3. Forum Supports LaTex

cjames53

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 04:47:09 PM »
The new choices look nice. I would suggest that you warn users that they will have to enable pop-up windows somewhere in the java applet itself or at least when it displays this

When you tried it, did the window actually stay open?  We tried this on all the browsers I have available, and the window closed properly in every case.

Most pop-up blockers won't block this pop-up because it's a "proper" use of window creation.  I don't know what algorithms Firefix, IE, etc, use to block pop-ups, but they're clever enough to allow this while blocking most spam-type pop-ups, so I'm curious if our experience matches yours.

Thanks,
Craig

Sponsored Links