April 29, 2024, 09:07:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mineralization by incineration for not-volatile heavy metals  (Read 1679 times)

Offline theShort

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mineralization by incineration for not-volatile heavy metals
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:48:27 PM »
Hi to all from a new user. I am an Italian boy and I'm not really a chemist, but I find myself having to do this work and this forum, I hope you can help me.
I'm coming to my question.

I need to find an alternative method to mineralization by heating with nitric acid for the determination of not-volatile heavy metals (Fe, Cu, Zn, Mn) in  solid samples type soil, compost, peat, etc. ...
Thought to an incineration of the sample at 550 ° C for about 8 hours and, thereafter, a solubilization of the ash in hydrochloric acid.

Do you think that can be trusted as a method? what should I use hydrochloric acid to solubilize and at what concentration?

Sorry for my English and thank you who can give me an answer.

Bye!

. theShort

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Mineralization by incineration for not-volatile heavy metals
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »
Why do you not want to use nitric acid?  Hydrochloric is not (much) safer.  The nitric acid method is well known, and has been defined rigorously.  Just because switching to HCl would work, doesn't mean a regulatory body will accept it.  Once you have soluble chlorides instead of soluble nitrites of Fe, Cu, ZN, and Mn, what is the next analytical step?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links