April 29, 2024, 12:44:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: PhD Research Direction?  (Read 3029 times)

Offline SUNNY_physics

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
PhD Research Direction?
« on: March 31, 2013, 06:28:01 AM »
I am currently a MS student in physics and would like to further pursue studies in a PhD program. Currently  I've decided that I would like to do my PhD in physical chemistry.

One of the directions I was considering is soft matter science, especially physical colloid and polymer chemistry. I am especially interested in applications to pharmaceuticals and chemical nanotechnology (soft lithography, microfluidics, filtration).

I also thought about electrochemistry and surface science. I believe I don't have enough information on the field of electrochemistry to make a judgment; other than undergrad labs I do not know much about actual experiments in electrochemistry.

Does anyone have experience in physical colloid/polymer chemistry or electrochemistry? What type of analytical instrumentation and fabrication equipment did you use? What was everyday work like? What type of facilities did you work in?

Thank you greatly!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:38:56 AM by SUNNY_physics »

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: PhD Research Direction?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:19:44 AM »

I also thought about electrochemistry and surface science. I believe I don't have enough information on the field of electrochemistry to make a judgment;

Then you definitely  shouldn't attempt a PhD in that area.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 10:46:46 AM »
Sounds like you don't really know where your interests are, and listing instrumental techniques is unlikely to help you figure it out.  Most fields are interdisciplinary anyway, so though polymer chemists do a lot of materials characterization (rheology, thermal analysis, etc.), you could be doing this no matter what subfield you're in.  Daily activities will be depend more on the type of job than the field.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline SUNNY_physics

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 05:34:05 PM »
Sounds like you don't really know where your interests are, and listing instrumental techniques is unlikely to help you figure it out.  Most fields are interdisciplinary anyway, so though polymer chemists do a lot of materials characterization (rheology, thermal analysis, etc.), you could be doing this no matter what subfield you're in.  Daily activities will be depend more on the type of job than the field.

I guess it may be more useful to use the term "soft matter physics" since maybe in chemistry, polymer and colloids are considered very different, but in physics, there is more emphasis on their similarities. Many schools I've looked at (such as UMN) have some polymer professors who also have research in colloids; other polymer researchers are into things such as OLEDS or synthesis, which do not fall under my interests.

Soft matter seems an interesting field to go into. I have 1 year of research experience in polymers and my current research involves colloids as a processing step. I know many schools that have a unified approach to polymers and colloids in the chemistry department. There are many tools in both fields that are the same such as chromatography, thermal analysis and light scattering.

The reason I listed electrochemistry was because I was told that it was a good field to go into. Since I know little about it, I don't dislike it. I dislike some other fields that I have direct experience with and have enjoyed taking classes on, specifically due to the instrumentation and experimental procedures involved. That is why I am asking about the nature of work in this field.

Sponsored Links