April 19, 2024, 01:51:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrolysis qustion  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Vonz

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Electrolysis qustion
« on: April 05, 2013, 04:26:42 AM »
I there,

I'm designing this electrolyser and researching of what metals I can use for electrodes. I remember my science teacher using steel plates but I know for a fact that zinc can be used also.. Is there a board with references anywhere, where I could compare properties and data, I am sure a lot of research have been done so far. So where could I find such information, if anyone knows...

It's important to me, so if you can help I would be rather grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Vonz.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
Re: Electrolysis qustion
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:22:25 AM »
It depends on what you are electrolyzing. Is it a molten salt? Is it a salt in water?
In general, the cathode  can be any metal and also graphite and silicon.
In general, the anode can't be most metals since the chemical formed usually attacks the metal. Usually, people use graphite, but this breaks apart over time.
I've tried silicon and this is a poor conductor and also breaks up into large chunks.
Platinum is great but expensive. You probably want a platinum coated metal.
There is also the metal oxide variety of electrodes, like PbO2 on Pb.

Some people use steel for both electrodes. Example, in the case of those devices used in cars to make H2 and O2. I don't know how long the steel anode lasts in these.

Offline cobrasniper555

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Electrolysis qustion
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 10:34:56 PM »
I believe it is steel (stainless alloy, or regular) that is used if a VERY dilute solution is used. Such an example is the "HHO" cell, or fuel cell. However, if your electrolytic cell is being used to produce a certain product, such as a hydroxide, hypochlorite, chlorate, perchlorate, etc.- salt, then special attention will have to be paid to the electrodes, particularly the anode (assuming the electrolyte isn't molten at high temperatures).

Sponsored Links