April 28, 2024, 09:29:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: calculating H2S mole fraction in sour gas plant inlet flow  (Read 5872 times)

Offline tinkpen

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
calculating H2S mole fraction in sour gas plant inlet flow
« on: April 05, 2013, 10:18:47 AM »
Hoping someone can help me out with how to calculate the average H2S mole fraction in the inlet gas of a sour natural gas processing plant based on known SO2 emissions, S produced and inlet gas volume.  I have tried using the equation below (provided in a consultant's report) but end up with mole fractions greater than 1 in some cases or a much higher fraction than seems reasonable for inlet gas that should be composed mostly of methane.  If someone could review the equation and let me know where the error could be, it would be greatly appreciated!  I should mention that I am not an engineer or a chemist by trade (science background though) so if anyone is willing to walk me through how this question should be approached so I can understand the theory behind the equation that would also be great.

Here is the equation:

YH2S=(VSTP*(ERSO2/MWSO2 + mS/MWS)*MWH2S*gc)/Qreceipts

where,
YH2S = average mole fraction of H2S in the inlet gas received at a facility (kmol/kmol)
VSTP = volume of one mole of gas at standard conditions of 101.325 kPa and 15oC (m3/kmole) = 23.6444813 m3/kmole
ERSO2 = reported emission rate of SO2 (t/year)
mS = reported production rate of elemental sulphur (t/y)
MWSO2 = molecular weight of SO2 (kg/kmol) = 64.066 kg/kmol
MWS = atomic weight of elemntal sulphur (kg/kmol) = 32.066 kg/kmol
MWH2S = molecular weight of H2S (kg/kmol) = 34.08 kg/kmol
Qreceipts = total field gas receipts (103m3/y)
gc = constant of proportionality = 1

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: calculating H2S mole fraction in sour gas plant inlet flow
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »
Can you show example data giving incorrect results? At first sight the logic behind the equations looks OK (but then I have not analyzed it thoroughly).

My first instinct would be to check the units...
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline tinkpen

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 04:32:34 PM »
Sure! 

here are examples using data from three different gas plants:

Gas Plant 1 has SO2 emissions of 10,000 t/y, with S production of 600,000 t/y and an annual gas volume processed of 5X109m3.  Using the equation above I get a mole fraction for H2S of 3.04, which is obviously incorrect.

Gas Plant 2 has SO2 emissions of 5600 t/y, with S production of 55,000 t/y and also has an annual gas processing volume of 5X109m3.  The H2S mole fraction I get using the above equation is 0.2905, which seems very high for a flow composed mostly of methane.

Gas plant 3 has  SO2 emissions of 200 t/y, with S production of 2500 t/y and also has an annual gas processing volume of 2.15X106m3.  The H2S mole fraction I get using the above equation is 0.3039, which again seems very high.

Any help would be appreciated!  :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 04:58:52 AM »
YH2S=(VSTP*(ERSO2/MWSO2 + mS/MWS)*MWH2S*gc)/Qreceipts

Now that I tried to plug in the numbers looks like there is a mistake in the equation - MWH2S shouldn't be there.

That will make your results 34 times lower.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links