April 29, 2024, 12:08:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Q's about Concentration, Raoul's Law, Volatile Solvents, and Osmotic Pressure  (Read 3749 times)

darklurker002

Hi, I have these four questions here that are a bit tricky~
I tried doing them, but im really having a lot of trouble. would you mind helping me?

Thanks a bunch!!!

1. Concentration - Calculate the molarity and mole fraction of chloroform in a 2.00m solution of chloroform (CHCl3) in benzene (C6H6). The density of chloroform = 1.48 g/cm^3; the density of benzene = 0.876 g/cm^3. Assume that the volumes are additive.

I got 1.752 for the Molarity, and 0.9936 for the mole fraction of CHCL3. I am not sure If I am supposed to use 1L.  Can you please show me the correct way of solving this problem?

2. Raoul's Law - An aqueous solution of NaCl has a vapor pressure of 18.4 Torr at 25 degrees Celcius. What is the mole fraction of Na+ in this solution? What would the vapor pressure of the solution be at 40 degrees celcius? Vapor pressure of water = 23.8 Torr at 25 degrees Celcius and 55.3 Torr at 40 degrees Celcius.

I got 0.46128 for the mole fraction of Na+, I have no idea how to get the second part of this problem. I'm stuck! :(

3. Volatile solvents - A solution is prepared by mixing 0.0500 mol CH2Cl2 with 0.0200 mol CH2Br2 at 25 degrees Celcius. Assumng ideal behavior find the total vapor pressure of the solution and the mole fraction of CH2Cl2 in the vapor phase. The vapor pressure of pure CH2Cl2 and CH2Br2 are 133 Torr and 11.4 Torr, respectively.

i dont understand what the mole fractions would be. would this be like calculating the vapor pressure of a solution with two liquids... so using a modification of Raoul's law?

4. Osmotic pressure - A 1.00L solution made from 25.00g of an unknown molecular compound has an osmotic pressure of 0.145 atm at 27.0 degrees Celcius. What is the molar mass of the compound?

I tried this problem but im not sure how I can even start it. Can anyone help? :1eye:

Thanks for helping me~ :-*
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 04:27:37 PM by darklurker002 »

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
Re:Q's about Concentration, Raoul's Law, Volatile Solvents, and Osmotic Pressu
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 04:56:43 AM »
Q 1.  
2m (molality) = 2 moles / kg of solvent

molarity M = moles / L of solution

mole fraction of x = moles of x / total moles

Q 2. and 3.
Raoult's law.
The vapor pressure of a solvent in an ideal solution equals the mole fraction of the solvent times the vapor pressure of the pure solvent.

Q 4.
Osmotic pressure = molarity x R' x T      (R'= 0.0821 L atm/K  so T must be in Kelvin)

Sponsored Links