April 28, 2024, 10:13:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: solution combination questions  (Read 4920 times)

therockerwithin

solution combination questions
« on: February 01, 2006, 05:59:14 PM »
I am currently working on a lab for my chem class.  My instructor says that among other reactions, 2 gases should form out of these combinations (ex: 1+2, 1+3, etc.)

1. AgNO3
2. Na3CO3
3. NaBr
4. NH4Cl
5. Ca(NO3)2
6. H2SO4
7. NaOH
8. BaCl2
9. H2O

I've already solved and balanced each of the 36 equations.

I know that Na2CO3 + H2SO4 -> Na2SO4 + H2O + CO2 producing a gas.

I'm not sure what the other gas is, if you have any questions about my equations for the other combinations, I would be happy to tell you.

Also, my teacher told our class:

AgNO3 + NaOH -> AgOH + NaNO3 -> Ag2O + H2O

(equation not balanced - I'm having trouble & need help, do I include the middle part when balancing?)

He said that the water would evaporate from the silver hydroxide almost immediately after mixing the two solutions, therefore, we should just consider it silver oxide.

Note: the two solutions combined make a brown-black mixture (according to my results and the CRC).

Do I use the same idea of silver oxide when one of my combinations produces calcium hydroxide or barium hydroxide?

Please get back to me as soon as possible.  The lab isn't due until monday Feb. 6th, but I'd like to turn it in early.  My teacher doesn't have a whole lot of office hours and many of the students have conflicting information.

edit: corrected UBBC tags, removed email. Asked on forums, answered on forums.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 06:11:57 PM by Borek »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:solution combination questions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 06:38:22 PM »
if you have any questions about my equations for the other combinations, I would be happy to tell you.

Show equation for 4+7
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

therockerwithin

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 02:36:32 AM »
NH4Cl + NaOH
NH4OH + NaCl
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 02:39:26 AM by therockerwithin »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 03:13:18 AM »
Try to clean your post - use MODIFY button to edit, then move subscripts between UBBC codes: [sub ]3[/sub ]. In future - enter digit, select it and then use sub/sup buttons for formatting. [hr ] is not an arrow, but horizontal line, use -> instead.

What happens to NH4OH in alkalic solution?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links