April 19, 2024, 08:07:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dry ice evaporation rates  (Read 7836 times)

Offline crunch

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Dry ice evaporation rates
« on: April 03, 2013, 12:36:19 PM »
Hi,

We need to have dry ice on hand at all times for flash freezing brain tissue specimens.

We can get delivery once per week of 100 lbs which is way more than we need, but I am told the larger slabs will decrease evaporation.

We are wondering if storing the dry ice in a refrigerated coleman type cooler will help slow the loss of the dry ice.  The coolers are basically at fridge temp of about 40 degrees.

Any ideas?  Any tips greatly appreciated.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Dry ice evaporation rates
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »
Don't store it in an air-tight container unless you fancy working around a ticking time bomb.  In my graduate school days, we had a prankster in our lab who used to love putting dry ice pellets in rubber gloves, sealing the gloves closed with a knot, and then throwing them in the garbage can, whereupon they would burst several minutes later and scare the heck out of nearby workers.  One day he decided to try to do it with a Nalgene water bottle.

Yeah.

He didn't do that again.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 01:51:55 PM »
There are dry ice coolers available.  Their lids are thick and insulated like typical coolers, but are held down with velcro, so the pressure can't build up to dangerous levels.  Unless summertime temperatures really cause your labs temperature to rise, the refrigeration, down to 2-8 C, really won't really be much different from a comfortable lab temperature 20-25 C, for dry ice at -78 C.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
I would go the way Arkcon suggests - even building a makeshift Styrofoam box with thick walls kept in place by string should slow down the evaporation considerably (not to mention the fact it would be leaking CO2, which is OK given circumstances).

I could build such a box here for under $3 (assuming they still sell single Styrofoam sheets, as they did 20 years ago).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 02:14:19 PM »
And buy bricks instead of pellets.  They evaporate much more slowly due to less surface area.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline STraxler

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »
I suggest you make your own, there are small dry ice makers where all you do is hook a CO2 tank with a liquid draw off valve up to it.  We had one for years worked really slick for generating dry ice for pour point testing of power steering fluid.

Offline IsotopeBill

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 05:28:08 PM »
If you have a walk-in freezer available, do NOT store the dry ice in there, due to dangerous buildup of CO2.  A few years ago there was an accident involving dry ice in the trailer of a large delivery van:  the driver went into the trailer and passed out, and nobody found him until it was too late

Sponsored Links