March 29, 2024, 02:03:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: "Holy light" experiment.  (Read 4318 times)

Offline ChrisMD

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
"Holy light" experiment.
« on: April 06, 2013, 03:59:38 PM »
 Hello, i've come across an argue with some friends regarding this "Holy light" which "randomly" appears like a miracle during Easter. They believe in God while I don't soo i said that it can be scientifically proven that it's possible to light up those candles somehow without any "unnatural power". I've studied today the materials regarding this "Holy fire" from different sources and I have even found a video demonstrating this soo called "miracle". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd-o8ineMuE
 Now the problem is that i want to demonstrate to those friends that the thing which was seen on the previous youtube link is possible and that the video was not modified. I've found out that the substance which might be used is a mixture of white phosphorus, but obtaining it seems pretty hard and I would like to ask what's the easiest way for a "non-chemist student" to light up a candle/random object with the help of some substance which is white phosphorus or another mixture or substance which has same properties and allows the object to self-ignite after some time.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: "Holy light" experiment.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »
White phosphorus is definitely hard to get, there are other mixtures that will autoignite - but you will have to google them by yourself, we don't discuss pyrotechnics here.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline ChrisMD

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 02:59:06 AM »
But, but....this is for science :(

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 04:16:42 AM »
I understand where you are standing, but it doesn't change the forum policy.

Pyrotechnics - especially for someone without training - IS dangerous. We are not going to post and discuss recipes that could help you hurt yourself, that's part of our forum rules.

I suppose you can be able to find something in the archives of the rec.pyrotechnics.

Topic locked.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links